Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 PROCESS AND DEATH OF LUIGI 16 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

We are on January 21, 2007... I have a thought for this dear Louis XVI who was worthy until in death him too :o

Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:00 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

http://teaattrianon.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... s-xvi.html

Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:20 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:30 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

His death was the beginning of many things....

Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:32 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, thank you for the reference, Therese. It is a very interesting site, always posting accurate articles about Marie Antoinette.

This one is for Louis, whom, naturally, we especially think of today...

Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:38 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:07 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:12 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:23 pm
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

The Tea At Trianon page contains a very good account of the King's last moments..and of the complete lack of humanity of his executioners.

Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:34 am
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I agree Merteuil! A very sad anniversary. :cry:

I'm always surprised by how calm some people can be when they are about to be put to death! I certainly wouldn't be so calm.

I'm also touched that the last thing Louis asked of his son was not to seek revenge for his death and indeed his last words to the people was the hope that his death would be for the good of France.

A very brave man!

Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:44 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post my mistake
I thought their wasn't a topic on this - don't know how I missed it. so here again:
during the king's trial, he was charged with acts of cruelty. the convention voted first on his guilt. he was found GUILTY with a unanimous vote.
OK, you can accuse Louis XVI of being a royalist with conviction - he was, after all, the king; you can accuse him of supporting the foreign armies with semi-conviction. but of acts of cruelty? Louis XVI? opposed to shedding the blood of the french, even when it cost him? what were they thinking?
again, you can say it was a political trial, and you'd be right. but even though all former royalists were expelled from the convention, there were many people in the convention who did not want the king executed, especially the girondins. why vote him guilty, then? what's the logic?
any thoughts?

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:53 pm
Profile YIM
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The deciding vote for the king's death was cast by Orleans, his own cousin, who, of course, was hoping to become king someday.

Yes, it was ridiculous to accuse Louis XVI of cruelty when he had sacrificed his own family in order to avoid bloodshed.

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:57 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Have you ever felt like, maybe the the constitution on which France is based on it a lie ? If it was achieved by tyranizing people into agreeing, falsely accusing the king of treacherous things ( which they KNEW very well he did not commit), and giving an unfair trial; then it looks like it is based on lies and deceit.

Ambitions and passions of a few men fueled the revolution and killed the monarchy, but these were not honest. Louis XVi was an honest and just man, a good head for a new political movement, but they decapitated it.I still can't beleive the way his trial was set so that it was pretty much impossible for him to win, and the lies they conjured up about him . It just makes me wonder...

Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:30 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

first, today's constitution, the constitution of the fifth republic, is a long way from the constitution that was enacted during the revolution (both of them). remember, the one that was passed after the fall of the monarchy,t he constitution of 1793, was never put into practice - it was suspended after the emergencies.
so no.
moreover, why do you think the revolutionaries believed Louis XVI did not commit treason? after all, for 4 years at that time a series of events caused them to lose faith in king and monarchy - some the king's fault, some not. why would they trust him? especially after finding the documents in the silver armoire.
and political trials were used at the time not just against Louis XVI. our notions of a fair trial seem pretty far from it. to give one example, you can argue about the necklace affair, but Louis XVI was definitely doing his best to secure the verdict he wanted from the parlement of paris, including by bribery. He just didn't do it as well as the other side.

Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:14 am
Profile YIM
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oceane you are one of the first people I have come across to have put in to writing something I have consistently felt since reading a lot about the French revolution. Yes I do think that the current constitution even if removed from the contemporary one is based on a lie in that any political movement based on coercion and mindless violence cannot have a firm base. The truth is that it lasted only a few years. However obviously there were a number of fundamental truths and socials advances in this text and that of the declaration of the rights of man, but then they proceeded to be so clearly ignored and "bafoué" (perverted) by the very people who were putting them in place. As for Louis XVI using dishonest ways to get justice, everything we read about him seems to show him as being moderate and reformist, all the more admirable given his far more absolutist predecessors.

Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2