Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:48 pm



Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next
 Louis and Antoinette's personal relationship... 

How did Louis and Antoinette feel about each other?
They were friendly, but not much more. 45%  45%  [ 15 ]
They were in love with each other the whole time. 33%  33%  [ 11 ]
They were indifferent to each other and didn't see enough of each other anyway. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
They were in love at one point and it tapered off... 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
They didn't like each other at all. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 33

 Louis and Antoinette's personal relationship... 
Author Message
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:04 pm
Posts: 2266
Post 
Louis-Charles wrote:
When he was young Louis XVI had asked Marie-Antoinette if she liked him, and she answered “Yes I love you” I believe… but Marie-Antoinette also said that to Polignac and Lamballe. :D


I think it is a little different when a wife says it to her husband. I tell many of my friends that I love them, but not in the same way I love my husband.

_________________
I forgive all my enemies the harm they have done me.


Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:21 pm
Profile
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:04 pm
Posts: 2266
Post 
Elizabeth wrote:
Louis-Charles wrote:
When he was young Louis XVI had asked Marie-Antoinette if she liked him, and she answered “Yes I love you” I believe… but Marie-Antoinette also said that to Polignac and Lamballe. :D


So, perhaps she said that more as a 'formality' in her early years with Louis XVI. As in acting as a wife. I am sure the meaning of their love changed through the years.

Therese writes:
Quote:
Yes, it is even recorded that they told each other "I love you."


Therese, do you recall when this was recorded? I wonder if they said 'I love you' often. If they indeed had just a platonic relationship, I doubt they would bother to tell each other, or think to tell each other, that they loved each other that often.


Yes, when they were young. It is in Fraser's book, and Cronin's. I think she told it to Mercy. If people cannot believe the words of Louis and Antoinette to each other then this discussion has no purpose.

_________________
I forgive all my enemies the harm they have done me.


Last edited by Therese on Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:23 pm
Profile
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 1532
Location: France
Post 
I agree Therese, but here it was not spontaneous from Marie-Antoinette because it was Louis XVI who asked her… :wink:

_________________
Quelle grandeur!


Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:23 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:21 am
Posts: 1545
Location: paris
Post 
There may have been a language thing there as well. The Germans/Austrians have two expressions for "I love you", either "Ich habe dich Lieb" or "ich liebe dich" and a different expression (like in English) for "like", which comes from the verb "mögen". Whereas in French the verb aimer means both like and love at once. This is even stronger in the negative expression "I do not like you" and 'I do not love you" which depends totally on context to be understandable, as the person would say "je ne t'aime pas" for both. MA for whom after all French was not the mother tongue may not have always caught this nuance.

_________________
"Fidelité et constance, sans espoir de récompense."


Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:24 pm
Profile
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:04 pm
Posts: 2266
Post 
Louis-Charles wrote:
I agree Therese, but here it was not spontaneous from Marie-Antoinette because it was Louis XVI who asked her… :wink:


L-C, that is the way it should be. The man should be more aggressive.

_________________
I forgive all my enemies the harm they have done me.


Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:24 pm
Profile
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:04 pm
Posts: 2266
Post 
Louis-Charles wrote:
We don't know how they were in their private life....but they did not sleep together and they did not have really the same activities… Marie-Antoinette saw more her friends that her husband during the day…
They approached during the revolution by facing the same problems and because they had the same ideas.
They were appreciated very much I agree, but I do not think that there was really love, the truth, between them :D


Chou, they had four children, for God's sake. You act like they were celibates or something. Where did they conceive those babies, in the kitchen? No, in a bed.

_________________
I forgive all my enemies the harm they have done me.


Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:26 pm
Profile
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 1532
Location: France
Post 
Indeed Baron de Batz...and Marie-Antoinette said "Je vous aime" to her friends too...she was so conclusive :D

Therese wrote :

Quote:
L-C, that is the way it should be. The man should be more aggressive.


:lol: Ok I will try to think of it :lol:
But spontaneousness is so beautiful too :wink:

_________________
Quelle grandeur!


Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:04 pm
Posts: 2266
Post 
Louis-Charles wrote:
Indeed Baron de Batz...and Marie-Antoinette said "Je vous aime" to her friends too...she was so conclusive :D

Therese wrote :

Quote:
L-C, that is the way it should be. The man should be more aggressive.


:lol: Ok I will try to think of it :lol:
But spontaneousness is so beautiful too :wink:


Perhaps in this case Louis was the spontaneous one? :wink: :lol: :shock:

_________________
I forgive all my enemies the harm they have done me.


Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:29 pm
Profile
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 1532
Location: France
Post 
Therese wrote :

Quote:
Chou, they had four children, for God's sake. You act like they were celibates or something. Where did they conceive those babies, in the kitchen? No, in a bed.


Yes in a bed I think too :wink:

But....Louis XV had children with his wife, in the bed too… Do you think that they were in love? :wink:
Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette had children by having… one can have children without being in love :?
And 4 children is not big for this time :wink:

_________________
Quelle grandeur!


Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:04 pm
Posts: 2266
Post 
I am not talking about being "in love." Spousal love has little to do with being "in love" but everything to do with solid committed love and devotion. But I think Louis XVI was in love with Antoinette.

And Louis XV WAS in love with his queen for the first ten years of marriage. I have read that in many places. But then he went after other ladies....

_________________
I forgive all my enemies the harm they have done me.


Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:37 pm
Profile
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 1532
Location: France
Post 
Therese wrote :

Quote:
I am not talking about being "in love." Spousal love has little to do with being "in love" but everything to do with solid committed love and devotion


Ah ok :wink:
I agree with the solid committed devotion to each other, but the solid committed love...it's a rare point where we don't agree :wink:

Quote:
And Louis XV WAS in love with his queen for the first ten years of marriage. I have read that in many places. But then he went after other ladies....

Really? Ah I did not know he loved really his wife during several years... :D

_________________
Quelle grandeur!


Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:40 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:04 pm
Posts: 2266
Post 
Louis-Charles wrote:
Therese wrote :

Quote:
I am not talking about being "in love." Spousal love has little to do with being "in love" but everything to do with solid committed love and devotion


Ah ok :wink:
I agree with the solid committed devotion to each other, but the solid committed love...it's a rare point where we don't agree :wink:

Quote:
And Louis XV WAS in love with his queen for the first ten years of marriage. I have read that in many places. But then he went after other ladies....

Really? Ah I did not know he loved really his wife during several years... :D


Yes, we rarely disagree.

Yes, the Mitford book about Pompadour talks about how much Louis XV loved his wife when he first married her.

_________________
I forgive all my enemies the harm they have done me.


Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:46 pm
Profile
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 1532
Location: France
Post 
Quote:
Yes, the Mitford book about Pompadour talks about how much Louis XV loved his wife when he first married her.

Thank you for the information :wink:

_________________
Quelle grandeur!


Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:48 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:04 pm
Posts: 2266
Post 
You are welcome. He was only sixteen and ready to love anyone.

_________________
I forgive all my enemies the harm they have done me.


Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:09 pm
Profile
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 1532
Location: France
Post 
Quote:
He was only sixteen and ready to love anyone.

Exact and he did not lose time for that :lol:

_________________
Quelle grandeur!


Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:11 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.