Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Louis and Antoinette's personal relationship... 

How did Louis and Antoinette feel about each other?
They were friendly, but not much more. 45%  45%  [ 15 ]
They were in love with each other the whole time. 33%  33%  [ 11 ]
They were indifferent to each other and didn't see enough of each other anyway. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
They were in love at one point and it tapered off... 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
They didn't like each other at all. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 33

Louis and Antoinette's personal relationship... 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

We don't know how they were in their private life....but they did not sleep together and they did not have really the same activities… Marie-Antoinette saw more her friends that her husband during the day…

I agree with that. Marie Antoinette tried to escape her marital duties the most she could. It is obvious from her reports to her mother. Once, it was a medicinal bath, then, a caugh, then, another medicine... Later, after Madame Royale's birth, she would explain to Marie Therese that "it is a very common habit in Versailles (to sleep apart), and that she would not disturb her husband's way of living".

About this famous "love" that comes all the time under Marie Antoinette's quill, it is interesting to notice that she only uses the word "amitié" (so "friendship"). She constantly assures the people she writes to that "she loves them with all her heart" or "all her soul". It is quite logical, after all... "Aimer, amour, amitié" come from the same Latin radical.

And is it so different in our today usages ? Do we always make the difference between "to love" and "to like" ? Maybe because it is not necessary, after all... :roll:

Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:30 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Quote:
Mamie Lever!

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:20 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:33 am
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

So Pim, do you think that Marie Antoinette had a serious aversion to sex?

It would seem that way to me... i guess she was just a pure kind of person... which makes those sexual encounters with fersen legends (:x )completely unbeleivable. I did read a few times though, that she was wanting more sex , and wasnt getting it ( something about her badgering her her husband for it ....). In that case, she really wouldnt have been fibbing when she told her daughter about the reasons they did not share a bed.

On another note, how fair is it to base their entire relationship on their sexual antics? How clear a picture are we getting by doing this ... not very clear (to me at least). It seems obvious to me that they both loved each other, and we hear of alot of couples who love each other, who just dont get in the sack very often . It's a possibility once you live together for a few years and both are busy with pressures of life. Doesnt diminish their essential love in any way i dont think.

Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:09 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

So Pim, do you think that Marie Antoinette had a serious aversion to sex?

It would seem that way to me... i guess she was just a pure kind of person... which makes those sexual encounters with fersen legends (:x )completely unbeleivable. I did read a few times though, that she was wanting more sex , and wasnt getting it ( something about her badgering her her husband for it ....). In that case, she really wouldnt have been fibbing when she told her daughter about the reasons they did not share a bed.

On another note, how fair is it to base their entire relationship on their sexual antics? How clear a picture are we getting by doing this ... not very clear (to me at least). It seems obvious to me that they both loved each other, and we hear of alot of couples who love each other, who just dont get in the sack very often . It's a possibility once you live together for a few years and both are busy with pressures of life. Doesnt diminish their essential love in any way i dont think.

I agree with your assessment, oceane.

Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:29 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

To my mind, Marie-Antoinette did not have serious aversion to sex, but she had a real indifference to sex...she did not completely love it, and she did not completely hate it....that's why she could have 4 children, and she did not choose to have more, and she chose to sleep in another bed that her husband'sbed during very a long time :D

Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:49 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

How could she have a normal life with all she had to deal with.....

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:18 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

She tried with Trianon...but that's all unfortunalely... :?
But the night she was more the LouisXVI's wife than the Queen....and she preferred being alone in another bed, whereas she could have slept with the king...so....

Last edited by Louis-Charles on Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

But the night she was more the LouisXVI's wife than the Queen....and she prefered an another bed so....

Yes, through one phase of her life she did.

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:42 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Exact, but a phase where she was young and when she could have had sex desire that she did not have... :D

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:46 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

As I said, she did not have normal life....

Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:02 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

:lol: During the days yes but not the nights! :D
(Don't fight me :lol: )

Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

eh why share a bed when you can have one to yourself? :lol:

Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:31 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:39 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

With many husbands I would presume a wife's indifference to sex would not be an issue - they would have demanded it anyway. I don't believe that Louis was the type to do such though.

One gripe I had with the MA film was that it showed Antoinette as some sort of sexual predator who seduced Fersen when such a thing is not proved.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next