Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 The king 

How do you consider the king Louis XVI?
awkward and influenced by the queen but with good purposes (victime) 22%  22%  [ 10 ]
a person who couldn't care less as regards the need of his people (guilty) 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
good and generous, ready to sacrifice his life for his people (he was called Louis the good man for his simplicity!!) 76%  76%  [ 34 ]
Total votes : 45

The king 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think Leopold would have been able to save her if he had not died, and then his son Francis would not or could not....

Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:23 pm
Post KIng Louis XVI a goodman? Whee!
:( Makes me think of the song from Carousel. The good are doomed to weep and wail!

Well, I chose that he is a victim and under the influence of his wife because while he was a bit too much like Monsigneur, the son of Louis XIV, in my opinion, he was truly unfit to be the ruling authority of France. He did not want the position in the first place, and he was generally too unfit to rule.

I have only read a few books about the King and am presently reading a book on his trial. This book has opened my eyes to a lot about this family that other authors neglect to tell.

The king has many talents and abilities, and is a bit too much like a few people in my life that I know, so that I have an emotional reaction to this King whenever I read of the trials and tribulations that he has undergone.

Basically, he is not a survivor at all. He could not fight his way out of a paper bag.

He withdraws too much, permits his wife to make his decisions for him, and lets her become the condemned queen. I do not find that honorable or good at all.

So sorry, I do not find him the good man just because he would not fire upon his people. (which made me think of Kent State University by the way so that I am understanding a lot right now.)

He neglected his responsibility as a ruler, and neglected his role as father and husband. He is one huge case for a negligence suit!

I blame him for the entire debacle!

Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:44 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

King Louis XVI actually cried when he found out he was to be King at such a young age. He stated to Marie saying, "And they taught me nothing!"

Clearly he wasn't ready for the position of ultimate authority like Queen Marie but they tried thier best to rule.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:26 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, they really did try their best and with the many dynamic and innovative reforms the king made, and his victory over the Bristish, he was in many ways successful. It was his attempt to lower the taxes of the poor by taxing the nobles that triggered the revolt on the part of the second Estate.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:29 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I think Louis has been blamed much too harshly for all the problems that happened under his reign. We should remember that he did not expect to be king until his elder brother died, he was ill-prepared to reign, and whatever kingly qualities he may have been lacking, the terrible financial state of France was not all his doing. The previous kings had left the country in debt; eventually, someone would have to be blamed for that. It just happened when Louis XVI was on the throne, and of course it didn't help that he had married an Austrian...

It's possible to be a very good man and yet not an effective king. I think, though, if he had reigned in a time of peace and prosperity he would be remembered as one of the most loved monarchs in France's history. He cared deeply for his people and family; indeed, for him there was hardly a distinction between the two.

<hugs>

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you, Athlynne, for your nice description about Louis XVI. I agree.
The king did his best, I am sure. Some of his new ideas and improvements were later "stolen" and marked that these happened as a result and only by the changements of revolutionners.

Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:41 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, and the army and navy outfitted and built up by King Louis XVI (with which he defeated the British in the American War for independence) were later used by Napoleon Bonaparte to conquer Europe. Louis encouraged much scientific experimentation which later put the French in the front ranks in the science world. During Louis's reign there were 6 books of new laws of reform, for the benefit of the French people, especially the poor people, such as abolishing the corvee and abolishing torture. He gave full civil rights to Jews and Protestants. The French police force was also said to be one of the most effective in Europe. Yet Louis XVI's entire rule was characterized by benignity, justice and mercy, which his enemies later interpreted as weakness.

Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:57 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

He also taught his son not to avenge his families death and taught him christian values such as: forgiveness.

Let us not forget he was a grand ruler but was also an amazing father.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:00 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, very true. And he was a devoted husband, giving Antoinette her Trianon, leaving jewellry on her dressing table to surprise her, and many other indications of devotion, although he did not allow her to determine his policies.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:21 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Yes it was quite sad actually. She walked into his room, catching him on his work and he told her to please go away. However, eventually he let her involve in his policies, many of the French were angry thinking she was governing over the king.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:37 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, that is why she came to his study dressed like a nun, just to get into see him, and to tease him, too. And threw bread pellets at him at dinner. She was a rascal....

Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:03 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Yes and if I may say, she is a gifted well rounded individual. Her child like manner made her wholesome, gentle, and most important innocent.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:18 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:22 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Think about this, during that time, woman would dress extravagently to allure, but however, Marie with her innocence, dresses for the sake of enjoyment and for fashion. Which is very important, she let her beauty flow naturally not trying to seduce like Du Barry or Pompodour, for that she was regarded as beautiful and charming without even acting sexual. Her charm wasn't for sensuality but to be wholesome and gentle because she cared for others, for that I believe that is why Lamballe and Polignac loved her so much.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:39 pm
Post Fascinating, just fascinating!
:lol: I appreciate all these positive comments about the King and the Queen during this time. I wonder at why it is then that they inspired such disloyalty amongst those who wrote all the pamphlets and drew all the horrible cartoons. It seems to me that there are just the loyalists who champion the cause of the good father King Louis XVI and the arrogant, extravagant Queen Marie Antoinette, and then their adversaries who clearly campaigned a hate program to annihilate them. So who is one to believe in all of this?

The French Revolution is undoubtedly responsible for the publication of George Orwell's Big Brother. No where on earth has there ever been such a campaign of doublethink fostered against a crown so successfully!

Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next