Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 New Member Policy 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: New Member Policy
I wholeheartedly agree with Marija and Lilly. I do not think we are being exclusive or snobby by deleting people who contribute nothing for 6 months or more. Perhaps those who do not take on the responsibility of moderating realize how much time we spend chasing spammers around the forum...it is a daily chore. We have our core members here, some who have been here since the beginning, like Baron de Batz. But we have also lost many over the years from a lack of consistent discussion and spam...remember Pimprenelle, Therese, Comte de Provence, Elle, Hellou....etc. Jim Cheval was also very knowledgable about the 18th century.

I fully support Adrienne in these matters.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:00 pm
Royalty
Royalty

mercy-argenteau wrote:
I personaly think the forum is making a big mistake going down this route.
So what if members come and go after a short time, at least they will leave with a more informed view about Marie Antoinette, than when they first came to the board.
And that should be what this forum is about, to tell people that the "Let Them Eat Cake" view of her is wrong, unless of couarse you prefare to have a small narrow minded group who want to only share thoughts among themselves. You need to have a total rethink about this, Adrienne

I think I ought to make it clear here that no one is prevented by this policy from reading the posts, joining the forum, contributing their own thoughts or asking questions to learn more. All that has happened is that those who have registered at some point and either never contributed (the vast majority) or contributed fewer than 10 posts have had their registration removed. Furthermore, for this to happen they need to have not visited the site for more than 6 months. For those who did make a post or two those posts are still here and can be read and responded to, but the chances are that you haven't spotted them because the we've moved on as an active group.

We have had active members come and go over the years (this forum has been around for a long time now in internet history terms, and the site as a whole for even longer). Anyone who was significantly active in the past has not been affected by this tidy up of the registrations and can visit and rejoin the conversation at any time. Others may need to register again, and that is fine too, they are not barred or banned.

While I'm here I must give a huge thank you to our moderators here, Fleur and Lilly in particular, who spend an inordinate amount of time on the site cleaning the boards of spam, rubbish and filth so that the rest of us are spared having to wade through it. It's not a pleasant job, I'm sure they would all rather be reading some of the gems that we have here on the boards. Much of it is gone before I do my daily rounds and they are specially invaluable when I am not able to attend to it daily. Thanks to you all.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:13 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Royalty
Royalty

We have had many new members recently, which is wonderful! We have also had new spammers as well - I am proposing that we delete the membership of these spammers upon discovery. Any problems with that?

Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:55 am
Royalty
Royalty

That is what I have always been doing. They are clearly spammers and not new members - weird links in their signature or messages.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2