Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Animals in 18th century. 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Animals in 18th century.
This is maybe unusual topic. I adore animals and I was wondering were they freer in 18th century then now. First, on many portraits of aristocrats we can see a dog or a cat, we know that a lot of them had many pets, including Marie Antoinette, and took very good care of them. Beside that cosmetic industry wasn’t so developed and certainly there weren’t laboratories in which they used animals for testing. Hunting was very popular but people couldn’t travel to distance places, they didn’t have right equipment to hunt seals in cold places, at lest not as much as people did one century ago. Also rich people took very good care of horses, unfortunately peasants who had them not really.
What do you know about attitude that people in 18th century had towards nature and did they have a way to harm it as people do now and have done during the recent years?

Last edited by Marija Vera on Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:32 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Animals in 18th century.
I don't know, however I do know that some of the wealthier people or aristocrats had pet monkeys. I don't think they had enough technology to hunt or anything or enough science to test animals etc. to exploit nature like we all do today. It makes me sad that we exploit animals and how we destroy forests like this, it's infuriating! :cry: It's an outrage! :evil:

Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:41 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I completely agree.
Last year I have visited Paris and our tour guide said that in 18th century kitten paws or some part of them were used to clean silver!? Have you heard of it, is it true?

Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:54 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I never heard of that! I certainly hope that is not true.

Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:42 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Me too, but again she had told us that :( … Maybe someone from France can help us.

Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:41 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hunting was perhaps THE key aristocrat entertainment at the time, so good horses, dogs, etc. were no doubt valued, as they always have been by mounted hunters. I don't know that one would say they were "freer", except to the degree that country animals generally have more freedom than city animals, and the line between urban and rural was much fuzzier at the time.

I don't think peasants could have mistreated horses for the simple reason I don't believe they were allowed to own them (not to mention they represented a huge expense). A horse, bear in mind, was, among other things, one of the more powerful instruments of war - you didn't want just anyone owning them.

Wild animals, ironically enough, profited from the nobles' love of hunting, since the local lord was the only one who could legally hunt them. Since most of the lords spent their time kissing up to the king at Versailles (or hanging around Paris hoping to get closer), unhunted rabbits etc. sometimes overran the neglected lands back home, because the local peasantry (whose crops often fell victim to these pests) couldn't hunt them.

Under Louis XIV, there was also a Paris Hilton-like fad for small dogs. But it wasn't necessarily very pleasant for the dogs (not that I think modern dogs like being carried around in purses, etc., either):

Quote:
"Miss Guerin, rue du petit Bac, deals in small Dogs for the Ladies.

Note: That is, chamber or sleeve dogs. The most in fashion at this moment although already a bit in decline... [were] dogs from Bologna, a sort of pug, each of whose joints were rubbed at once with wine spirit to prevent them from growing. They were sometime sold at a high price. Taillemant... tells of an Italian extravagant, named Promontorio, who offered some to the princess Marie de Mantua, for fifty pistoles to pay when she became queen. She accepted, and eighteen months after became, against every appearance until then, queen of Poland. One can understand that she gaily paid the fifty pistoles. The race of dogs of Bologna has been lost, even in Bologna... At the end of Louis XIV's reign, Burgos dogs began to replace them. They preceded the fashion of dogs of Spain, or spaniels, which dates from the Regency. Between them and the Bolognese slipped for a moment wolf dogs: 'Only are caressed, we read in the *Lettre Italienne* already cited, those which have a wolf's muzzle and cut ears, and the more deformed they are, the more they are honored with kisses and hugs."
Abraham de Pradel, "Livre Commode des Addresses de Paris", 1698 (I:273-274)

Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:23 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I agree. The peasant prize animal would have been an ox, mule or a donkey.

Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:26 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I completely forgot about this topic.
Thank you for your contribution!

Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]