Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
 If you had lived in the 18th century… 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: If you had lived in the 18th century…
By interseting in this case I meant funny, or saucy. But of course they are in the first place very interesting from the historical point of view.
Suetonius wrote in the II century A.D. and wrote a work about the first 12 emperors from Julius Caesar (who was not actually an emperor, but is included beacuse he was the first one to concentrate power on himself) to Domitian (who died in 96 AD). It's a biographical work, and it is full of funny details and anecdotes.
Tacitus wrote different works, of which not all are extant. He was a great historiographer,and wrote between the end of the first and the beginning of the second century AD. His work is interested especially in the dinamics of power during the empire, but of course you can find weird particulars about the emperors (especially about Tiberius, Claudius and Nero).
I didn't know about emperors worshipping rocks, but what do you think about Caligula making his horse senator? :wink: Or Agrippina, Nero's mother, seducing hes own son...well, you can find a lot of stuff like that. It's funny to be a classicist :lol:

Fri May 30, 2008 9:28 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

his horse was a senator?!

Fri May 30, 2008 9:55 pm
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

yes it was :lol:

Sat May 31, 2008 8:00 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Rosalie wrote:
I didn't know about emperors worshipping rocks, but what do you think about Caligula making his horse senator? Or Agrippina, Nero's mother, seducing hes own son...well, you can find a lot of stuff like that. It's funny to be a classicist :lol:

Well, if I have enough luck and knowledge I will study history (I am preparing for the exam that starts at the end of this month) so I will have a plenty of interesting material to read during my studies. :D
Beside making his horse a senator, Caligula was a very perverse man.:roll:

Sat May 31, 2008 6:03 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

thats great, ahaha.

Sat May 31, 2008 8:12 pm
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Marija Vera wrote:
I am preparing for the exam that starts at the end of this month

Me too :lol: A high level histoty oral exam on thursday :)

Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:43 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

good luck!

Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:03 pm
Royalty
Royalty

merci Rosalie! Unfortunately, there are no themes about the XVIIIth century... :evil: Of course, a dozen's about European Unio wich is very useful but not so interesting :roll:

Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:08 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

My exam, to sign a history faculty, includes history questions from early civilizations to today. And there is a test of universal culture too. :|

Good luck Anouk!

Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:14 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Good luck!

Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Marija Vera wrote:
My exam, to sign a history faculty, includes history questions from early civilizations to today. And there is a test of universal culture too. :|

Good luck!!! Report is required about it!Are you already preparing for your exams?

Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:16 am
Royalty
Royalty

Thank you Comte and Marija!

Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:17 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Anouk wrote:
Good luck!!! Report is required about it!Are you already preparing for your exams?

Yes. University (you use a term college) has classes for preparation that are starting for two weeks. Beside those classes I am learning from my high school books. Our education system is one of the heaviest so there is a lot to be read! :roll:
Thank you.

Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:25 pm
Royalty
Royalty

It is really good! I don't know you agree or not but I think it's good that you must study a lot- it proves the advantages of the system. It takes you challenge
I am a school leaver...and I hate our A-level system. I think the medial level exams are Ok to be easy and below the line, but it is revolting that the high level exams are so so so potty! I hate our scolar system! It is unsatisfactory. In contempt of this, it is really hard to get into an university.

Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:12 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Anouk wrote:
It is really good! I don't know you agree or not but I think it's good that you must study a lot- it proves the advantages of the system. It takes you challenge
I am a school leaver...

Me too. I agree but sometimes it is not that nice. I think that American school system is good because you can choose subjects you like. In my high school I was obliged to have math, chemistry and physic even I am terrible at it. I had a problem; I had all A but D from math, C from physic and chemistry so I had less good results. Now grades are counting as points which will be added to my exam result. As I know in America (Comte de Provance and Hellou know) you have ability to choose the subjects you like and having that freedom is great. We are also learning many things completely unnecessary for our future studies and life in general.

Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next