Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 18th Century Topics of Polite Conversation 
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post 18th Century Topics of Polite Conversation
I would find it very interesting to know more about which (non-venal) topics of discussion were favored in the salons. Of course, I am referring to things not of a political or scandalous nature. If we were to walk into an 18th century salon, what would we be invited to talk about? Popular writers, composers, philosophers, art, science, the harvest, the hunt, gaming? Perhaps this would give us some insight into the daily lives and mentalities of 'upstanding' and 'decent' aristocrats, which I would find very comforting as well as intriguing. Does anyone agree?

"...little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her...I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult."
Edmund Burke, (1790)

Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:08 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: 18th Century Topics of Polite Conversation
We would talk about the poetry, scandalous book “Dangerous Liaisons”, about a new play in the theatre, about opera… We would also gossip about Comte de Provence’s new mistress (if we were in some private cycle), Elle’s new estate or my new marriage (fictional marriage). Men would talk about the hunting or their career. I don’t think you could avoid some scandalous or political topic. This is just a suggestion, I like this topic! :angel3:

Last edited by Marija Vera on Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:27 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think that is exactly what we would talk about, don't forget to talk about fashion, hair, shoes and jewelery. :angel6: and dogs. art and porceialn.

Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:59 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes Elle, we would discuss fashion, talk about our queen, complain about the weather…
Some our friend would brag about arranging an excellent marriage for her daughter.
Monsieur Ray would call us to play cards…
If we were in the late 18th century, than definitely we would talk about the modern philosophy and financial crisis.

Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:51 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Thank you all for responding. Everything you said makes perfect sense to me. Incidentally, I love to play gin-rummy. Thanks again and have a Beautiful and Blessed Day!

Happily,
Ray

"...little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her...I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult."
Edmund Burke, (1790)

Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:35 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

You’re welcome Ray.
Thank you!

Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]