Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Who abolished the death penalty in 18th century Austria? 
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post Who abolished the death penalty in 18th century Austria?
I came across something online and now I've lost it. It was about the death penalty being abolished in the Austro-Hungarian empire I THINK sometime in the 1770s or before. How enlightened is that? Sort of ironic also that Marie would leave such a place only to end up receiving the death penalty herself. Was it her father who abolished the death penalty? It seems that the Hapsburgs were really decent people as well as fair and progresive rulers. We here in America still have the death penalty today more than 200 years later...

Wondering,
Ray

"...little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her...I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult."
Edmund Burke, (1790)

Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:13 am
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Who abolished the death penalty in 18th century Austria?
According to Maria Theresa's Wikipedia page:
Quote:
In 1771, she and Joseph II issued the Robot Patent, a reform that regulated a serf's labor payments in her lands, which provided some relief. Other important reforms included outlawing witch-burning and torture, and, for the first time in Austrian history, taking capital punishment off the penal code, as it was replaced with forced labor. It was later reintroduced, but the progressive nature of these reforms remains noted. In 1772 Maria Theresa founded the Imperial and Royal Academy of Science and Literature in Brussels. Mandatory education was introduced in 1774; the goal was to form an educated class from which civil servants could be recruited.

Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:26 am
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Who abolished the death penalty in 18th century Austria?
I'm not going to lie but that is pretty sweet. :)

Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]