Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Pregnancy in 18th Century 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Pregnancy in 18th Century
Welcome to the forum! I am sorry but I have to disagree with some things from your post and to correct one information from my earlier post. As for the ultra sounds, of course that they didn't have that option! Although women had a fear of the labour (some even wrote letters preparing for death) that fear for their lives wasn't as justified. Of course it was reasonably to worry about the pain and the health of a child. In my post I doubted what I heard in one documentary about the percentage of women who died in the childbirth. Now, I can quote one reliable source.

"Recent revisionism may stress that the average woman ran only 6-7 per cent risk of dying in her reproductive career, and was as likely to die by infectious disease or accident, but such statistics do not justify the claim that childbirth was seen as an insignificant cause of death. Even by the revised figures, perinatal complication was probably the single most common cause of death in women aged twenty-five to thirty-four, accounting for one in five of all deaths in this age group. As the expert says himself, in a large village a woman might see a contemporary die in childbed every third year."

The period of recovery and rest after the child birth was about four weeks. Noble women could make the decision whether they would feed they own child or give it to the nurse (the first option being more common in the late 18th century). There was also a widespread belief in the contraceptive power of prolonged lactation. After the rise of the man-midwife in the mid 18th century and later, that was another choice (noble) women could make in order to have more privacy and distant themselves from the old fashioned collectivity of mid-wives, gossips etc. The "average" mother in this period bore six to seven live children. Unfortunately, life-treating illnesses took a lot of young lives.

(wrote this before a new member had deleted his reply but I can't be bothered to change it)

This topic could be placed in the 18th century section.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:51 am
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Pregnancy in 18th Century
Marija, I deleted the post as it was a spam comment. Some of them now have relatively on topic replies then an obvious link in their signature. This thread is now in the 18th century sub-forum.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2