Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 18th century salons 
Royalty
Royalty

Post 18th century salons
Yesterday I began to read a book about Julie de Lespinasse who got into the Salon of Madame du Deffand. Then she opened her own salon. I bacame interested in 18th century french salon life :) Do you know more about it?

Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:17 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post Re: 18th century salons
unfortunately: no :roll:

reine :angel6:

Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:05 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

There is an old book, possibly out of print, which goes into great detail about the Paris salons: Rousseau and Revolution. It's been a while since I last read it, but I believe the "salon" as a cultural institution was on the decline by MA's time. At least in the later part of her reign, as the old hostesses died off and nobody replaced them. Madame de Stael (daughter of Necker) started up a salon, but hers was one of the last. By her time, the salons had devolved from intellectual pursuits into mere social gatherings, where nothing serious or consequential was discussed.

Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:20 am
Royalty
Royalty

I wonder why they weren't maintained? No one was interested in philosophy anymore and wanted to talk fashion and gossip? Yet, revolutionary style "salons" must of existed for all those ideas to foment.

Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:06 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

The only Revolutionary-style salon I can think of is the example of Madame Roland and the Girondins. Although I'm sure that she herself would have been mortified by the comparison, it was the same concept. The Girondins were a very loosely knit political group somewhat linked together through their attendance at Madame Roland's home at meetings hosted by her. While of course her husband was the one actually in government, she was actively involved in shaping the party. She was very concerned with not being seen as frivolous and all the conversations there were either political or ideological, no fashion or gossip. So there's one example of a salon during the French Revolution (though I'm sure Mme Roland herself would have not called it that), but it's the only one I can think of.

Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:12 am
Royalty
Royalty

Maybe her salon was the most famous and the only that should be noted :? Because I'm sure this wasn't the only one salon in Paris that time.

Christophe wrote:
There is an old book, possibly out of print, which goes into great detail about the Paris salons: Rousseau and Revolution.

Thank you, dear Christophe, I'm going to look after it.

Last edited by Anouk on Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:10 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I was doing some research today and funnily enough I came across discussion of salons during the Revolution. Mme Roland's was by far the most important in terms of revolutionary politics, but another famous one that I forgot was Mme Necker's salon. Before the Revolution and in its early days she hosted a salon featuring the liberal thinkers of the day. There were other less important ones, but salons were really declining during this period for the main reason that their role was being filled by the creation of political clubs like the Jacobins, the Cordeliers, the Feuillants, and the many many many lesser known ones. You might think of this as a specific reaction against salons and the elite, private, feminine world salons symbolized, whereas a political club was open to the people (ostensibly, different clubs tended towards different social classes), public, and overwhelmingly masculine.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:43 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Thank you for information, Dreamoutloud! :)

Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:46 pm
Royalty
Royalty

dreamoutloud wrote:
Mme Roland's was by far the most important in terms of revolutionary politics, but another famous one that I forgot was Mme Necker's salon. Before the Revolution and in its early days she hosted a salon featuring the liberal thinkers of the day.

Mme Necker being Germaine de Staël?

Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:50 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Délicate fleur wrote:
Mme Necker being Germaine de Staël?

No, Germaine's mother. Mme de Stael began her salon much later.

I believe the traditional salon was in decline because French society became preoccupied with the crisis leading up to the Revolution, and so had little time or attention for matters of art, science, and philosophy. Politics took over, which we all know does not make for pleasant society.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]