Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Titles at court? 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Titles at court?
This is perhaps a question involving the various titles of the French Royal Family that they bore, probably most applicable to the early part of the 18th century, when Louis XIV was still alive and had many possible heirs, before the Small Pox epidemic that took the life of many members of the Bourbon dynasty...

The King's brother, the Duc d'Orléans was also known as 'Monsieur,' and his wife, as Madame. These were considered prestigious titles, likewise, the Duc d'Orléans eldest daughter was known as Mademoiselle...

I am wondering if there was any sort of title that Philippe II d'Orléans (the Regent of Louis XV) bore while his father was alive, and he was the Duke of Chartres. I know that he was a petit-fils de France, as a grandson of Louis XIII; as such, he bore the name d'Orléans instead of de France. However, was there any title, like Mademoiselle that Philippe II bore, as the eldest son of Monsieur?

Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:43 am
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Titles at court?
I don't know much about titles in France while ancestors were still alive.
I only know he was "duc de Chartres", "duc de Valois" "duc d'Orléans", then "Régent de France". His childrens name was "d'Orléans" as well. He couldn't attained the title of "Roi de France"- Louis, great-grandchild of Louis XIV was the (underage) dauphin. At first not futur Louis XV was the heir apparent to the throne. His brother, the dauphin Louis died in 1712, at the age of 5. That's why Louis XV became the dauphin and then bacame the king of France in 1722.

Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]