Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Aufklàrung, Lumierès, Enlightenment 
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post Aufklàrung, Lumierès, Enlightenment
We usually associate the Enlightenment to the 18th century. It's right! In fact during this period new ideologies and ideas based on equality and social/economical/political justice expanded all over the Europe.
A concret example can be the American Indipendance (but other revolts were started before: Ginevra( 1764) Corsica (1760-68), the austrian south-belgium(1789) and in the same year the french revolution.
Now we thanked the Enlightenment (it is not finished it's an unconcluded process) to have lighted us up but have we seized the contradction that are in the concept of the word "Enlightenment"? In fact if we intend this word as an unlimited exploration of reason (so the progress of science, freedom in everything), how can we reconcile it with the need to assure a political and social stability? Actually the progress of technology gives origin to the exploitation..men don't accept only the meaning of the knowledge, they want to know it only to profit from it.
So that's what is happened during the french revolution..what that must be a republic..a social state with democracy and equality teached by Enlightenment..is become a dictatorship because man is selfish in his own nature.
Now I want to know your opinion.
bye

Last edited by CrY on Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:51 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Aufklàrung, Lumierès, Enlightenment
wow! thanks for that!
i have to agree with everything actually, but i see the 18th Century as more of a period of Beauty and splendor.

Wed May 14, 2008 12:20 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I agree with you but I also think that it is a normal process of developing, fear that follows it (personally I find technology improvements sometimes scary) :shock: .
When Gutenberg discovered letter-press (printing) technique people had been concerned that they won’t be able to control and censure literature or other material which, by easy spreading, may had had a bad influence on people. Now we have a new problem – internet. Ideas of the 18th century were important for society as the Renaissance was important for art.
I’ve asked my history professor why revolution in France could not have finished as English revolution (1688). He answered how feudal system in France had been much worst then in England, numerous people had starved (you can’t think very clear when you can’t satisfy your primary needs) and Royals (nobleman) lived in much greater luxury. England could control its state and their kings could cooperate with the Parlament, France in that point couldn’t.
In general I’m satisfied with the ideas of the 18th century but, as Comte said, my inspiration from this period is mostly Beauty and splendor.
:)

Wed May 14, 2008 10:03 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

i, more than anyone else in the world so wish that we didnt have to use this crap. it controls most peoples lives, its sad.

Thu May 15, 2008 2:09 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

If you mean on technology I agree. The level of abuse is terrible. I know for many stories about teenagers who use cameras on their mobile phones to record some perverse act or abusing of some person (that person is the victim). Then they post it to some site and spread the hideous material. However, more common is to record you (or your friend) making the fool of yourself. Maybe some of you enjoy in that but personally I find it incredible stupid like the most of the things that teenagers do, and people in general.
Sorry if the level of my sarcasm or arrogance is something obvious.:roll:

Sat May 17, 2008 9:55 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, also in Italy it usually happens, in the last years. But I think technology can also be very useful. Without the internet, we wouldn't have met on this forum for example :wink:
It's the old problem about the use you make of science...
And yes, I think the Enlightenment was a very important feature of the 18th century. It impregnated the culture if the time and was important for the olitical thouught which led to Revolution (which, however, betrayed a lot of those ideals :roll: )

Sun May 18, 2008 8:29 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

yes, but making a fool of yourself, thats self expression, and if its funny its not as bad.
i think recording fights are ignorant. who records something, and then doesnt try to stop it?
miserable.

Sun May 18, 2008 10:17 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well, depends how you look on it. I am fonder of classy, graceful behavior of the 18th century that does not exclude the sense of humor. Its ok to express yourself in many ways but sometimes you do not express your creativity or uniqueness but just lack of intelligence. I like expressing myself differently. :lol:

Last edited by Marija Vera on Sat May 24, 2008 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 19, 2008 4:53 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

i think so too, when you look at it like that. but sometimes these children put together such amazing skits, while imitating the children who act stupid, or literally are stupid.

Mon May 19, 2008 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]