Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 * 18th century PERFUME~POWDER~COSMETICS! 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post * 18th century PERFUME~POWDER~COSMETICS!
:) i am curious about what type of cosmetics and perfumes were used in the 18th century~i know rouge was popular~but what about the rest? and was the powder scented? what about packaging? :wink:

Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:20 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Elisabeth-de-Feydeau wrote a good biography of Jean-Louis Fargeon, the perfumer of Marie-Antoinette. (This book is in French only I believe).
The perfumes consisted of natural products, like the Jasmine, the Fleur d'Orange, the Tuberose, the Violet. Jean-Louis fargeon made perfumes according to the personality of his customer.
The gloves also could be scented. :D

Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:57 am
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

:wink: i can almost smell what you described!!! :wink:

Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:41 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marie-Antoinette liked much the perfumes. She liked all that could give charm and attract people towards her. She was an vain woman (yes Artois was right by saying that! :wink: ) who liked to feel beautiful and clean... and she did it so well!

Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It's not being "vain", Chou ! It's just being a refine person... and men were allowed to enjoy perfumes and powders and clothes and make-up too, in the XVIIIth century. French aristocracy was a very delicate, an exquisite society... La douceur de vivre...

Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:47 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I said "vain" (coquette n'est-ce pas? :D ) because Marie-Antoinette liked to take care of herself and to be pleasant for the others and for herself. But for me "vain" is a compliment! It is necessary to be vain in the life! :D

Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:53 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh, sorry... I did not check my dictionary. I understood "vain" in the meaning of "empty". Vain, quoi ! Of course, coquette, like frivolous... it's all so good ! These are qualities necessary in your life, and also to lighten others' existences !

Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:56 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ah Pim...never you will see me criticizing Marie-Antoinette! Or it is still a lapse or a fault of language of my shar :wink:

Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:59 pm
Profile WWW
Scents were really necessary as well. Dentistry has improved dramatically in the past 100 years. There are references in the 18th and 19th century to putrid breaths from people with bad teeth. Also, silk clothing worn at court was not washable and rudimentary dry cleaning methods, usually involving just airing the clothes meant that clothing was not as fresh smelling either, so scent was really necessary to cover up an array of unpleasant smells. The French habit of scenting rinse water of cotton underclothing comes from this era as well. Also, storing clothes with lavendar was partially to keep moths away, but also freshen the smell of clothing.

Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:09 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Anyhow, people found back a buried head they supposed to be Mme de Lamballe's. Her teeth were very white and visibly well cleaned.

Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:59 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: * 18th century PERFUME~POWDER~COSMETICS!
I read that women in middle age period used some cream for depilation, do you know what women used in 18 century for depilation, if they did? Also to make their skin soft? :?:
I am very curious about this subject so if anyone knows more about this, please answer.
Thank you.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:36 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Well, I read somewhere that the Romans that they used a pumice stone on dry skin to keep their legs smooth and keep hair away, or the alternative is rabbit blood smeared on your legs :roll:. Although I found this website, they literally used the pigments the Romans did for this lady. Fascinating I find it.

http://www.sallypointer.com/makeover.htm

Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:50 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

If only we could find how to transform into fashionable 18th century lady…

Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:32 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well, apart from the fact that I prefer modern methods for depilation :) I also think of that, sometimes...In the meanwhile, I'm trying to get inspired by the style of the 18th century (for example I often try to keep a nice posture thinking of an 18th century lady...I think it helps!).
And by the way, I went to an exposition of shoes some days ago and there was a shoe of the period...it's not so different from the ones which are fashionable now! It was a kind of "ballet shoe" (don't know if it's right in English, in Italian "ballerina"), of a bright green. Don't know whom it belonged to, but it was fascinating!

Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]