Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Inheritance 
Post Inheritance
Hi, does anyone know about the laws of inheritance during the 18th century (especially during the reign of Louis XVI)? In a book I'm writing a widower, who has one son, remarries and then dies some years later. I am pretty certain that his estate and finances would go to his first born son but I'm not sure how it all works if the son is only seven years old. Secondly, would the second wife and children get anything? If anyone has any information that would be great.

Thanks.

Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:18 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

You could start with a university library; there should be books on this. A large public library could possibly have some information too.

Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:40 am
Royalty
Royalty

These are a few titles that turned up on a database search I did through my old university library - perhaps they are of some help?

Traer, J. F., Marriage and Family in Eighteenth Century France
Desan, S., The Family on Trial in Revolutionary France
Hardwick, J., The Practice of Patriarchy: Gender and the Politics of Household Authority in Early Modern France
Diefendorf, B., Women and Property in Ancien Régime France: Theory and Practice in Dauphiné and Paris, in Brewer & Staves (ed) Early Modern Conceptions of Property

Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:43 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]