Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 18th Century Cuisine 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post 18th Century Cuisine
hi everyone,

i'm just wondering what MA would have eaten during the 18th century. i should imagine lots of roast game (as louis XVI loved hunting!) and delicate pastries with their tea whilst chatting with friends but i'm wondering what recipes are out there that might be traditional from this time in france? any ideas? i enjoy cooking very much as i'm blessed in having more time to do this and always love to try new things.

i would imagine MA enjoyed her food rather than over indulged and would appreciate a high standard of food. maybe today she would have enjoyed organic meat, fruit and vegetables a la prince charles and his duchy originals range! :wink:

Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:47 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marie Antoinette usually ate chicken or white meat. She peculiarly enjoyed duck. She ate it with vegetable. None of Marie Thérese's children liked fish. Marie Antoinette indeed said that she did not like "maigre" during careme, that she was disgusted, and that she was happy to have "gras".

Actually, she was rather fragile, often had abdomen aches, and did not eat that much.

Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:54 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marie-Antoinette ate little and very quickly, which irritated several people who could not follow her rhythm ... :lol:
But she loved much the poultry and the sweetened desserts (but not as much as Coppola seems to believe), like chocolates with vanilla and orange :wink:
She appreciated also the fruits it seems to me...

Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:57 pm
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

that's terribly sad that she had stomach problems. was that the uterine cancer that she is said to have had at the end of her life? did this stop her from enjoying food?

what is maigre, careme and gras? foie gras?

my french is so poor! :roll:

Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:00 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

For Marie-Antoinette, the fact of eating was more a need that a real pleasure... thus she wanted to eat quickly...
When she was young she was almost thin ("maigre" in french), but after she gained fat ("gras" in french) a little and was very well proportioned! :D
Foie gras... hummm I adore this meal! :wink:

Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:07 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, Marie Antoinette was very thin... but as a little girl ! She very rapidly got stouter.

What was the cause of her abdomen problems, dear Severina ? I don't know... Fraser suggests indeed that this was her first childbirthing that went wrong. It is possible, for she went on claiming from abdominal sufferings after this. Later, yes, she would have terrible hemorrages. However, we are not sure about the diagnosis. Was that a uterus cancer ? A cervical cancer ? A precocious menopause ? Or her day to day awful life provoking disorders and weakness ?

I agree with Chou. Marie Antoinette was not most of an eater.

Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:27 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

that's terribly sad that she had stomach problems. was that the uterine cancer that she is said to have had at the end of her life? did this stop her from enjoying food?

what is maigre, careme and gras? foie gras?

my french is so poor! :roll:

"Careme" is Lent. In those days, Catholics had to abstain from meat for most of Lent, and it was a challenge for Marie-Antoinette, who did not care for fish, and needed the meat for strength.

Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:02 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh, sorry, my friends... :oops: I did not check my dictionary. I thought "careme" existed in English as well... :oops:

Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:21 pm
Royalty
Royalty

If you read French, you can find a good link about the chocolate in 18th:

« Vous mettez autant de tablettes de chocolat que de tasses d'eau dans une cafetière et les faites bouillir à petit feu quelques bouillons ; lorsque vous êtes prêts à le servir, vous y mettez un jaune d'oeuf pour quatre tasses et le remuez avec le bâton sur un petit feu sans bouillir. Si on le fait la veille pour le lendemain, il est meilleur, ceux qui en prennent tous les jours laissent un levain pour celui qu'ils font le lendemain ; l'on peut à la place d'un jaune d'oeuf y mettre le blanc fouetté après avoir ôté la première mousse, vous le délayez dans un peu de chocolat de celui qui est dans la cafetière et le mettez dans la cafetière et finissez comme avec le jaune »

:wink:

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:30 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you Victoire-Adélaïde :wink:

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:56 pm
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

I read a lot of blogs, and coincidentally stumbled upon this one not long ago. It's a fascinating read and might give a little insight into the 18th century diet :)

http://18thccuisine.blogspot.com/

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:24 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

oh i loved that link adrienne, most kind thank you! i'll really enjoy perusing this. :D

Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:55 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:06 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:23 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Must have been strange for her to eat with Louis who could and did eat an absolutely enormous amount ;).

Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next