Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Bathing in Coppola's 'Marie Antoinette.' 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Bathing in Coppola's 'Marie Antoinette.'
I remember seeing in Coppola's film that Kirsten Dunst was always wearing a chemise of some kind when she was taking a bath. What is behind this custom? Was this a universal practice in France, or was it just something that royalty did? And what is the point? Doesn't seem like a very comfortable way to take a bath!

Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:54 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marie-Antoinette, the real one :D , always had a long chemise when she washed, by decency, so that one cannot see her forms. But I do not know if all the queens did it… it is not sure :?

Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:58 pm
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:08 pm
THis was actually the practice of all women when bathing at the time -- well, presumably upper class women who were attended to in a private bath. Hot baths were not necessarily considered good for you at the time and they weren't common -- perhaps once a week at most. Most people washed with cold water at a basin a sponge and soap but full baths were uncommon. The middle and lower classes could go to bath houses where chemises were worn for modesty reasons, so I suspect the use of a chemise in a private bath came from the same habit of wearing a bathing dress for a bath. Of course, any public bathing at the seaside would also have required a bathing dress, although seaside bathing wasn't popular until the early 19th century.

Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:32 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

You can find good illustrations of this bathing with chemises in "Barry Lyndon" or even better in "L'enfant du secret".

Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]