Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Maurepas 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Maurepas
You can speak about him in this topic! :wink:

Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:20 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you Victoire-Adelaide! :D I am curious, what is your opinion of this man? How much influence did he have on Louis XVI? I am reading more on him, because so far, he is one of the people that I am not quite sure how to think of him!

Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:04 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I have just been reading about him in Fraser's biography. It seems as though he was in opposition of Antoinette's beloved, exiled Count Mercy and his supporters, but nevertheless was appointed as one of the King's ministers and exercised a great deal of influence over him, along with Vergennes. Marie Antoinette disliked him, I'm not positive as to exactly why, but I think it may be because Maurepas was not in favor of her own personal influence over Louis. Of course, Antoinette's influence over her husband in favor of Austria was constantly pushed by her mother Maria Theresa, whom she was greatly dependent upon, so perhaps that figures into it. But that's all I know... any other theories as to why Antoinette disliked Maurepas (if I am correct in saying that she disliked him :? )?

~*vive la reine*~

Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:49 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think you're absolutely correct. MA was still in her "I've got to achieve something here to appease my mother" phase. And Maurepas was close to the King....and she felt they weren't really listening to her.

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:27 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Yeah, and I think that most of the French court didn't really want Louis to listen to Antoinette... many were still against the Austrian alliance and then there was the whole du Barry thing that got everyone all bent out of shape. Louis appointed most of his ministers without consulting her.

~*vive la reine*~

Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:42 am
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Maurepas
I concur with Baron de Batz. I think he offended her in some petty way and she got rather angry about that. However, I think I read that Maurepas could have possibly prevented the French Revolution, because he would have fixed the economy, supposedly. It's rather sad though. :(

Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:14 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I have read that to. Besides fix the economy, he also knew that there would have to be some sort of parliamentary government. Marie Antoinette could not conceive of being this type of Queen, given the example of her mother. I believe that she exerted some sort of Influence over Louis to prevent the implementation of this. The same book also took the point of view that It was much to late, and the decline had already began even at the time of the Sun King, and even the most rigorous budget could not have saved them.

Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:05 pm
Royalty
Royalty

That is true. Even before since Louis XIV France had economic trouble. I personally think that Louis XVI was the most decadent French monarchy from what I have read from.

Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]