Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Let Them Eat: New Independent MA Film 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Let Them Eat: New Independent MA Film
I received an email from the filmmaker Leslie Cottle alerting us all to the webpage for her new MA film, Let Them Eat: http://www.let-them-eat.com

There is a synopsis of the film, trailer and other lovely little tidbits relating to the film there. The flash intro is quite long but rewarding once you get through it! She says there will be more news on the film to follow, so perhaps one to keep an eye on :)

Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:18 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
This looks so good! The Kirsten Dunst movie looks terrible but this looks real. I wanna see this really bad. I hope they release it for public disposal.. I want to see this one.

~Aloura

Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:19 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, it's a movie made by someone who really knows Marie-Antoinette's life, and who is really devoted to her. It's full of compassion and empathy.

Furthermore, it's not focused on light pleasures, which, obvioulsy, would give a wrong idea of Marie-Antoinette's fate. We enter her hopes and sufferings, and try to understand her.

The director, a very talented lady, decided to let us hear Marie-Antoinette's voice.

Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:31 pm
I really enjoy it, I think that will be a great movie. Liked in particular the poetry, you really can feel her voice, her soul in those words. It's a deep and serious project that should be more supported.

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:08 pm
The "Let them eat cake" quote was simply slander used to show that she was either cold or stupid...(how can people who can't afford to eat bread, afford to eat cake?).

From what I heard it was spread by one of the many tabloids out to ruin her during the French Revolution, but don't forget that a lot of people despised Marie Antoinette the moment they realized her extravagant spending habits.

Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:07 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Of course, Raquel, she never said that ! But the movie director, who loves Marie-Antoinette very much, precisely chose this as a winck, you see, as a joke. She was kidding... :wink:

Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:36 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:36 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think that a really good actress does not have to totally resemble the person she is portraying. In this case, just from looking at the trailer, although Leslie has dark eyes, etc, yet she powerfully conveys the character of Marie-Antoinette. Leslie has the inner radiance that Kirsten Dunst lacks in her portrayal; Leslie really BECOMES the queen. IMHO, the problem with Kirsten is not that she does not look like MA but that she seems unable to become her, the way Leslie does and Norma Shearer did long ago. I may not totally agree with everything in Leslie's interpretation, but at least it is a very tasteful rendition and one feels in touch with the queen's agony just by watching the trailer.

Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:59 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I agree with you, Therese, Leslie made her movie with devotion to the queen, and her love is obvious. She did not use Marie-Antoinette's name to make money !

Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:39 am
This one really piques my interesst too. It looks very nice :)

Also have to say that , since her name was mentioned, that i fully agree with Norma Shearer doing a very good job in her role as Marie Antoinette.

Fri May 12, 2006 6:00 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I wish that Leslie were directing the new film, not Coppola.

Fri May 12, 2006 6:19 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I wish that Leslie were directing the new film, not Coppola.

Me too, Leslie would do it right...

Fri May 12, 2006 10:47 pm
Profile WWW
Noble
Noble

It looked much more serious than the box-office one. Also, it really looks like she's portraying the queen. Kirsten Dunst is only being used because of her big name - she's not at all a good actress.

Sat May 13, 2006 2:41 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, Leslie is a person very devoted to Marie-Antoinette, and she made her movie out of love... not out of a new caprice, as this pampered Hollywood genious child did !

Even when Leslie portraies Marie-Antoinette dreaming of Fersen at the conciergerie... It's a gift Leslie wanted to offer to our poor queen, for she can't bear to imagine her dying alone...

Sat May 13, 2006 8:41 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, Pimprenelle, and it is done tastefully! Although, I think, based on evidence, that it was more likely that Marie-Antoinette was thinking of her poor children whom she was leaving behind, and of her husband whom she was going to join. As she wrote to Madame Elisabeth, "I go now to rejoin your brother."

Sat May 13, 2006 1:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next