Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 If Louis had married someone else? 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post If Louis had married someone else?
What would have been the outcome, do people think, if Louis had married someone else? I have always had the impression that Antoinette was well-meaning but that her frivolity and her extravagence were a big contributing factor towards the revolution - though undoubtedly it was something that had been brewing since the days of le roi Soleil. If she had been a prudent and pious woman who eshewed gambling and gaming ,balls and amusement and devoted herself to helping the poor - could the revolution have been averted? How much was she to blame, personally? How much was Louis himself to blame?

Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:30 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I don't know...but I suppose you could be right.

Although Antionette's main problem wasn't her extravagance (or the preception of it), but that she was Austrian. Prior to a treaty in the 1750s Austria and France were enemies. So, when Marie Antionette came to court people were determined to hate her and put the worst spin on her actions as possible.

However, there's no denying that by the time Louis XVI became King France was in deep trouble. It's not likely that Louis would have been able to fix these problems (In his double biography of the King and Queen, Vincent Cronin mentions that it would take a political genius to straighten out France's finances.)

It was not Louis XVI fault that France was in such a mess though, so the Revolution wasn't really his fault. I think it was inevitable, although perhaps it could have been stalled had Louis been prepared to take action against the people of France.

Poor Louis XVI was in the wrong place at the wrong time. :(

Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:58 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

yes that's how it's always seemed to me :(. In all the books I have read he comes across as a genuinely good man who simply lacked the determination to REALLY change things .. even if he could have done. Offering to buy the Necklace for Antoinette at a time when the monarchy was already deeply unpopular and France's finances were in a mess was a good indication of this! (happily, she declined it..).

Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:07 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I read somewhere that Louis was originally supposed to marry Marie-Josephine de Savoie, but she married his brother Provence instead, because Madame Pompadour pushed Louis XV into the Austrian alliance. The rest of the royal family were against the Austrian alliance/marriage, even Louis. Marie-Josephine never forgot that, but for Marie-Antoinette, she would have been the queen.

Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:24 pm
Noble
Noble

Everyone forgets the age of these two people you know.

Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:16 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:19 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I have not forgotten their ages. I am not sure that I get your point? :)

Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:52 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think CATBOOTS meant that many people, other than the erudite members of this forum, often forget how young Louis and Antoinette actually were.

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm
Royalty
Royalty

The rest of the royal family were against the Austrian alliance/marriage, even Louis. Marie-Josephine never forgot that, but for Marie-Antoinette, she would have been the queen.

The Royal Aunts were against the Austrian alliance too. They wished a marriage with a princess of Saxony, like for their brother Louis-Ferdinand de France and Marie-Josèphe of Saxony (Louis XVI's parents). If Marie-Josèphe didn't die in 1767 (her husband died in 1765), perhaps she would have been an influence on her son's marriage...

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:30 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:32 pm
Royalty
Royalty

It is true that Marie-Therese of Habsbourg would marry Maria-Carolina with Louis XVI before the death of Marie-Josephe of Habsbourg, who was engaged with the king of Naples?

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:32 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It is true that Marie-Therese of Habsbourg would marry Maria-Carolina with Louis XVI before the death of Marie-Josephe of Habsbourg, who was engaged with the king of Naples?

I know that one of the older girls was originally intended for the Austrian alliance rather than Antoinette.

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:35 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I have read that it was Joanna von Habsburg who was promise with the King of Naples. But after her death, her younger sister Marie-Josephe was engaged with him, and Maria-Carolina was promise with Louis XVI. But after the death of Marie-Josephe, Maria-Carolina would become queen of Naples, and Marie-Antoinette would be marry with the king of France.

I don't know if this information is true...

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:41 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I have read that it was Joanna von Habsburg who was promise with the King of Naples. But after her death, her younger sister Marie-Josephe was engaged with him, and Maria-Carolina was promise with Louis XVI. But after the death of Marie-Josephe, Maria-Carolina would become queen of Naples, and Marie-Antoinette would be marry with the king of France.

I don't know if this information is true...

That sounds correct to me.

Love your avatar! Is that from Gianni Schicci?

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:58 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes you're right Victoire-Adélaïde it's that! :wink:

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:38 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next