Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Queen's Confession 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post The Queen's Confession
Any fans of this here? It was the first book about Marie Antoinette that I ever read and the one that got me interested in this period of French history. It is by Victorian Holt which is a pseudonym used by the historical novelist Jean Plaidy. It is a fictional autobiography - something which saddened me slightly when I first realised cos as an eleven year old I thought that it was her ACTUAL autobiography. It seems fairly accurate from all that I know though.

Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:38 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I've read this book twice and enjoyed it.
Victoria Holt and Jean Plaidy were two pseudonyms used by the late English novelist Eleanor Hibbert. She also wrote three novels about Louis XV and Marie Antoinette: Louis, the Well-Beloved, The Road to Compiegne, and Flaunting, Extravagant Queen. They're out of print but you should be able to find copies at your library.

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:19 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I really don't appreciate these fictive diaries supposed to be written by Marie Antoinette, for they generally portray a quite unintersting girl !

This one is the best one, in my view. There, Marie Antoinette appears as she does in her correspondence, as she was, clever and introspective.

Unfortunately, there is this Fersen thing again....... makes more sells, for sure ! :wink:

Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:53 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

It was the first book about Marie Antoinette that I ever read

Me too. I read it when I was about 14 and was gobsmacked by her story. I set out to try to find out how much was true and how much the author's invention.

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:55 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Victoria Holt's book is good, except for the Fersen thing. It is a million times better than Erickson's Hidden Diary.

Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:36 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I've read Louis the Well Beloved - wasn't that about Louis XV? - but not for years and years .. just recognise the name and not much else. Not read Flauting, Extravagent Queen but that sounds interesting, I shall look on ebay. Queen's COnfession was the first book about Antoinette that I read too and I found it fascinating .. though she is quite adamant that Louis had an operation in order to be able to consummate the marriage which several people here have said that there is no evidence of. So far, the Fraser bio which I am currently reading is following the QC quite closely so Holt obviously researched her subject very well.

Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:46 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh, yes, it has the surgery thing, too. It has some errors. It just shows how close some of the biographies resemble novels for lack of accuracy.

Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:59 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I haven't got as far as the surgery thing in the Fraser bio yet - so far the couple have been married a year and people are still speculating ;)

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:08 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I don't think Fraser believes in the surgery theory.

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:11 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I've been reading Madam Campan's memoirs online and Holt clearly borrowed very heavily from them, in some places seeming to quote pretty much verbatim. Very interesting read though.

Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:58 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I've been reading Madam Campan's memoirs online and Holt clearly borrowed very heavily from them, in some places seeming to quote pretty much verbatim. Very interesting read though.

That's also true. And that's another mistake of this book, in my view. Mme Campan actually was not among the queen's intimate friends. She was but a chambermaid among others. In the tuileries, following Evelyne Lever, the first lady in waiting was Mme de Jarjayes. The queen seems to rely on this lady and her husband far more than on other people.

Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:03 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Really? I had thought that Campan was a personal friend. Though thinking about it the person I most got that impression from was Holt who would say that if she was borrowing from the memoirs a lot ;)

Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:33 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Madame Campan was the queen's chamber maid, nothing more.

Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:50 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

this is an old topic however I wish to add my message, because Victoria Holt's The Queen's Confession was the first book I've ever read about Marie Antoinette when I was very very young , and since then Antoinette captures her place in my heart. This book has a special place for me.

Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:50 am
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Funny, Moose. The Victoria Holt novel was also the first book I read about Marie Antoinette when I was a child - and made me interested in her. I haven't read it since, so I couldn't give my opinion about it. As I said, I was a big child when I read it - But I owe Mrs. Holt - because she is the reason for my interest in M.A. :D

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next