Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Versailles and the revolutionaries 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post The "hidden" Versailles
First of all - I would have liked to start a new topic under the index "Château Versailles & Other Royal Residences" - but it says that only moderators can post a new topic. Is that new???

Anyway - I've been to Versailles several times, and I have enjoyed it very much. But it has always been my dream to see the WHOLE castle. One can visit the great halls, the Apartments of Marie Antoinette and so on. But what about all of the other hundreds of rooms and apartments? What about the kitchens, the servants quarters and so on. Has anyone ever heard about other parts of the castle has been opened up to the public? Wouldn't that be amazing to see?

Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:21 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes you are right Lamballe….many rooms like the "Méridienne" or the "Cabinet Doré" are not accessible all the time….it is necessary to be registered with visited guided which are organized regular times :D

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:12 am
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Really?? Thanks Louis-Charles! It would be nice to know at what times such special guided tours are available - so one can plan a trip to Paris and visit Versailles and be able to see other parts of the castle! I wonder if they put such dates on their webside...

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:34 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes the site of Versailles give the time of these guided tours : :D

http://www.chateauversailles.fr/fr/520_ ... .php?idT=5

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:38 am
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:45 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

So Sophie la pauvre petite, died in Grand Trianon. Do you know where is the little princesse now? I have a vague memoir from the eighties seeing a golden coffin in Grand Trianon, but I might be wrong or misunderstood then something..at least last summer there was no object like that I remember in Grand Trianon rooms. :shock:

Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:07 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Her little tomb was desecrated by the revolutionaries at Saint-Denis in 1793 and her little corpse thrown into a pit.

Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:12 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Therese ! It's awful ! :cry: They did it ? What could be the use of torturing a little body ? :cry:

And they say their revolution was wonderful and respectful and everything !

Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:17 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh then..how many and many sad stories, so inhuman!!
(What could have then been this golden "coffin", maybe still a table or something like?)
It comforts only that little Sophie's devoted mother (and father) prayed for her and never probably (hopefully) knew about the disgrace of the tombs of the children, or did they?
:cry:
P.S. Pimprenelle dear, of course they say, how else they could bare to do cruelty like this year after year...thay must justify these horribilities to themselves, those revolutionnary monsters :(
O Richard, o mon Roy, l'universe t'abandonne...
Quel funeste coup du sort au milieu de ma gloire...(d'après Grétry..)

Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:21 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, ladies, c'est terrible. They did the same to Louis-Joseph's body. And only the Almighty God knows what all they did to poor Louis-Charles' little living body. The brave new world began with the torture of children.

Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:42 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

You are so right Thérèse, the brave new world....I am now both French and English having received French citizenship five year ago, but I can no longer get myself to sing the Marseillaise now that I know the context behind this song. So few people really know the true extent of the "barbarie" and cowardice of the "sans culottes" and their leaders. The behaviour of these people towards a certain class of people discriminated against purely because they were born into nobility is a heinous crime. Obviously there was need for change as so often in history but the change brought about was achieved with methods as brutal as wartime Germany. Is it true that they they gave pregnant women a stay of execution until they had given birth and then took the new born baby from them and led them to the scaffold!!? Modern France is truly founded upon lies and shame...by the way does anyone else possess to Grétry's "Richard Coeur de Lion"?

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:59 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I read that actually most of the guillotined people belonged to le troisième état, ordinary men, women and children, servants, merchants etc, but the noble victims have naturally been more interesting to the historians. They are widely reasearched and only recently the whole picture of the very turbulent next 100 years from the first revolution 1789 in France had been put in a perspective. :?

Moi, j'adore Grétry...

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:22 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, I have read that, too Aurora, that more peasants died than anyone else. The Marxist interpretation focuses only on the rich people who died, because they are trying to make it into a class struggle.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:59 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:12 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The classic interpretation of the French Revolution as being the poor rising poor rising up against the rich is a Marxist interpretation. Karl Marx was a 19th century German philosopher who wrote "The Communist Manifesto" (1848) and saw all history in terms of class struggle and warfare. This is still the way most people view the Revolution, as the peasants overthrowing the aristocrats, when in reality it was the aristocrats who started the Revolution and more peasants died than nobles.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next