Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Richest European King? 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The greatest revolutionary was actually Louis XVI. From the beginning of his reign he launched sweeping reforms, unlike any other king before him. But the people who wanted to control the government and change society did not want Louis to succeed, hence the violent revolution. France could have been reformed and changed peacefully, as Louis wanted.

Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:04 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Therese, that is SO true! Louis XVI always wanted the best for his people and it has already been stated in this thread the Estates General was called so Louis could tax the "privellaged"
so the people(even though they didn't know) revolted in order to keep the rich rich and the poor poor.

Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:56 am
Indeed the war in America was too expensive for France, and weighed heavy in the causes of the Revolution.

I agree Pimprenelle, it would be necessary to let a thorough study to know if the revolution were good for France or not. But personally, I think that the revolution, if it was necessary, was very badly done, and it remains a shame for us, with respect to the royal family... I have shame awfully... :?
The revolutionists wanted to go too quickly, and they handled people with their own way :?

I've been looking at world history from a new point of view... asking the question: "Why did a good God allow (this horror) to happen. " I've found that I loose my sense of personal self when listening for the answer. As a result, I don't suffer from shame I feel more like I'm watching a lovely forest go up in flames. All those beautiful trees GONE! All those forest creatures dead or left without their home. But then I see the parched land send up green sprouts, surviving animals busy rebuilding their homes, and I get a tremendous feeling of awe when I realize this is just the planet's, humanity's, the cosmos itself's natural cycle. No guilt. No shame. And in addition I feel intense satisfaction that there are always survivor's to tell the tale.

Yes. It's the winners who tell the tale.

As for the people who die, leaving me to survive to tell the tale, I imagine they've just left the stage and are in the wings preparing for their next scene.

The world is a stage, we are the actors, we are the audience.

Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:08 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It is very nicely said congratulations! :D

You are right, we should not see the revolution like an end or an enormous calamity. But... I am French, and like a French, to note that Marie-Antoinette and her family were badly exterminated just for the freedom of the people, makes me feel guilty... It is the French who wanted Marie-Antoinette like Queen of France (even if Marie-Thérèse was agree too), and it is the French who killed her... our debt is immense and eternal... To hear the Marseillaise also hurts me... :?
But of course I am also proud to be French I reassure you! :wink:

Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:04 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

L-C, you should indeed be proud to be French, a citizen of one of the most ancient nations in Europe. Do not feel guilty about M-A; if you had been there, you would have tried to save her, as many French people did.

Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:17 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Quote:
if you had been there, you would have tried to save her, as many French people did.

Ah you are right! I would have taken a real pleasure to help her to leave this horror, and with her family! :wink:

Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:33 pm
Profile WWW
Noble
Noble

Post Pimprenelle
I do not know Pimprenelle. What I can say is this person has read a great deal of documents from primary and secondary sources. I can not argue with with what she puts forward here.

Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:22 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

He was the richest-he married Marie Antoinette.. And the richest crown was french in 17 cent but in 18 it was Habsburgs and Russian.

Tue May 15, 2007 12:04 am
Profile YIM
Royalty
Royalty

The frustrating aspect for is that Marie Antoinette and Louis, they wanted change, yet no one would even bother or care to listen because other men in the General of Estates felt that they were completely incompetent of ruling thier own country. I feel sorry for the citizens of France who wanted to their Queen and the Royal Family live, they were opressed with the threat of death. So you think Robsierre is a raving mad man? Off with your head (and everyone else's head within a 20 mile radius )! And sort of an extension of Therese's comment on being French, regardless of nationality there will always be extremely polite people, decent people, those who lack propriety and of course people who are complete animals.

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2