Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 *Maybe he was just besotted? 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, Madame drank. That, we do know for sure.

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:27 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I am just sure that they were never in love

This might have had an happy consequence... Or was it Provence's intelligence ? Monsieur and Madame also escaped from Paris, that night Louis and his family ran away from the Tuileries. But Provence and his wife used separate coaches. With these speedy diligences, they got safely to Brussels...

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:29 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes they envisaged better their escape… Provence even took horsemanship lessons! :wink:

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:59 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well I suppose that there is no reason why they SHOULD have been in love - after all they had never met before their wedding, neither was physically attractive or a particularly charming personality and PRovence was impotent :(. If you add lesbianism to Maria Josepha's list of traits then there's a fair chance that neither of them relished the match. That said, i suppose they got used to each other after a few years :)

Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:22 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

If you add lesbianism to Maria Josepha's list of traits then there's a fair chance that neither of them relished the match.

I amnot so sure about that ! Historian say she may be a lesbian... and Provence may be gay... So what ? So many people were bisexual in the aristocracy... :roll:

Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:56 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

i dont think that provence was gay ... didnt he hook up with that one woman for a while ... Comptesse de Balbi or something? Either was i see no reason why Provence would be at all attracted to his wife. Sallow, ugly, hefty , alcoholic, dirty and an intriguer arent such attrarive features .

Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:21 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

i dont think that provence was gay ... didnt he hook up with that one woman for a while ... Comptesse de Balbi or something? Either was i see no reason why Provence would be at all attracted to his wife. Sallow, ugly, hefty , alcoholic, dirty and an intriguer arent such attrarive features .

Yes, Madame de Balbi was Provence's official "mistress" before the revolution. Madame du Cayla was afterwards. His problems were more an issue of health rather than lack of attraction for ladies.

Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:32 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Was Madame really as bad as people make her out to be? Sallow? Well, lots of people are that. Small? In that time lots of people were that too. I did hear that yes, she had poor hygiene but she could have addressed that. Are there any pics of her?

Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:03 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I did hear that yes, she had poor hygiene but she could have addressed that.

Didn't Marie Antoinette try to help her out in this respect? This notion popped into my head and I have no idea where it came from. Perhaps I read it somewhere; perhaps I have a better imagination than I thought!

Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:36 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Tue May 15, 2007 12:00 am
Profile YIM
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I feel kind of sorry for the two Savoyard princesses; besides being married to men they had very little affection for, they weren't very popular at Versailles either. But then again, it's hard to feel sorry for someone who doesn't see the need to keep up their personal hygiene... ah well, hygenic standards back then were very different from those today! Marie Josephine and Marie Therese probably weren't the grossest ones at Versilles!

~*vive la reine*~

Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4