Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Lamballe and Polignac 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Lamballe and Polignac
:mrgreen: Hi, I just have one question about Lamballe and Polignac. How did Marie actually meet Lamballe and Polignac? I know that Marie started to miss her sister and was deeply homesick and eventually Polignac was a personal favorite but how did Marie meet them both?

Thu May 18, 2006 3:52 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I don't know exactly how she met Louise de Lamballe... She already was there for her marriage banquet, anyway.

She met Gabrielle de Polignac during a bal, or, following others, at Diane de Polignac's place. She immediately felt attracted, and even more when talking to the little countess. Then, they met again at a party where Gabrielle sang, and, as she had a very beautiful voice...

These two women were very close friends of Marie-Antoinette, and never let her down. I don't agree with people saying that madame de Polignac took advantage of the queen's affection, and left her in despair. Marie-Antoinette had to force Gabrielle to get away from Versailles, and even had to call the king for help.

But both of them, as the queen, were victims of revolutionary propaganda. Madame de Lamballe is now rehabilited, thanks to her awful fate, in my view. Madame de Polignac will perhaps never be... for she only died from sorrow and cancer. And people only forgive when tragedy, and gore :? , are concerned... I'm afraid...

Thu May 18, 2006 4:39 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Thank you so much for your reply, by any chance do you know any books that focuses on the Private Life of Marie like what would she do with her friends, how did she feel on certain issues etc. ?
:)

Thu May 18, 2006 5:08 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I only know books in French about this... but Antonia Fraser's bio is not too bad on this account...

Thu May 18, 2006 5:10 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

As for novels, there is Elena Maria Vidal's "Trianon" which explores the queen's emotions and relationships pretty accurately.

Thu May 18, 2006 9:40 pm

Princess de Lamballe was born in Racconigi (Turin). Her name was Luisa di Savoia Carignano and she was from a part of the royal family of Piemonte and Savoia (North Italy).

There's a good bio about Luisa de Lamballe, but I can tell you that when she was 19 or 20 years old, she has been forced to marry Prince de Lamballe, a young and dissolute member of a very important family which had the privilege of frequenting Versailles.

Given that her husband’s family could see the queen very often and frequent the Court, as I know, Luisa met Marie Antoinette at Versailles!!

I’ll check the author of her bio and I’ll tell you very soon!!

Ciao,
Giorgia

Wed May 24, 2006 3:46 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thnks, giorgia! Madame de Lamballe is one of favorite people! I read in her "Memoirs" that her husband died (of syphilus) before they consummated their marriage. Have you ever heard that?

Wed May 24, 2006 4:20 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Lamballe's dissolute husband but her kind father-in-law
I too have read that Lamballe's husband died of syphilus.

I don't recall if they had consummated the marriage. If they had not that was probably a good thing. I don't think she had any children.

I have read that her father in law who was immensely wealthy was quite fond of her - that he paid considerable bribes to try to obtain her release to safety when she came before the revolutionary tribunal. Unfortunately those who were bribed were unable to spirit her to safety or just pocketed the Duc de Penthiere's funds.

Such a horrific ending to a sweet soul.

Axel

Wed May 24, 2006 8:58 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, Axel, I heard that her father-in-law loved her like his own daughter, but I did not know that he tried to rescue her.

Wed May 24, 2006 9:23 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

:D Has anyone actually read Marie Antoinette, The last Queen of France? I sort of liked how it potrayed the friendship between Polignac and Antoinette however, it did not really explain about the friendship between Marie and Lamballe, considering Lamballe stayed with her being loyal to her during the French Revolution.

Wed May 31, 2006 3:39 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Is that another biography by Evelyne Lever ? If it is, it's difficult to answer, for the French edition is different (bigger) from the English one. Madame Lever focuses on political, in my view, and psychological aspects such as friendships are more superficially handled.

The best thing to do is to read a biography od princess de Lamballe. If it's possible to avoid Lamballe while retracing Antoinette's life, it's impossible to forget about Antoinette in Lamballe's one ! Even her health problems partly (or totally ?) depended on this huge friendship...

Last edited by Pimprenelle on Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 31, 2006 3:43 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Merci tellement, Pimprenelle for the information.

Is there actually biography books on Polignac?

Wed May 31, 2006 3:48 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Non, nothing, alas ! I would like so much to read something serious about her ! There are the "mémoires de Diane de Polignac" but only available in a library somewhere in Swiss... :roll: There is a chapter on her in Erlanger's book on "aventuriers et favorites" and in Blanc's one on "l'amour à Paris". Some information can also be taken from the net... but so few... :cry:

That would be an interesting work, for sure ! Gabrielle de Polignac was so caricaturized and damaged by propaganda ! But, from the difference between these accusations and Antoinette's letters, we can imagine how difficult this would be to find the real Gabrielle behind all those dirtinesses !

In my view, the most beautiful portrays of her are by Chantal Thomas "Farewell my Queen" and "la lectrice-adjointe". This writer could, I think, get to the depths of Marie-Antoinette friendship for Gabrielle.

Last edited by Pimprenelle on Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 31, 2006 3:58 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Exploring the depths of thier friendship is fantastic, however I really haven't read any books that explored the friendship between Lamballe and Marie.

It's fascinating though whenever Marie had troubles in her life she would always, always visit Polignac, and when she caught her leaving the court case, she begged her not to leave. They really had a strong bond of friendship wouldn't you say? :)

Wed May 31, 2006 4:37 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh, yes, to me, this friendship means so much for Marie-Antoinette ! They raised their children together, and Marie-Antoinette considered Gabrielle's children hers by adoption. She truely writes it in one of her most beautiful letters.

About Louise de Lamballe, I would recommend you Vircondelet's book "L'ange de Marie-Antoinette".

Wed May 31, 2006 5:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 185 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next