Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 St.Denis-the grave of Marie Antoinette and Ludvik XVI 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

What I know, but it's a bit vague, is that at the request of Louis XVIII the bodies were exhumed from the Madeleine cemetery which is situated in what is now the Square Louis XVI close to St. lazare station in Paris. This is where almost all the terror victims were buried. The bodies were reported to have been buried in the farthest part of the cemetery near to the Rue d'Anjou. A royalist supporter either already lived in or bought a house opposite the cemetery with part of its grounds including the area where the royal sovereigns were buried and protected this area from desecration etc during the twenty odd years before the exhumation. When the bodies were exhumed an eye witness who knew the Queen fainted when he saw the band she has worn at the execution as well as her hair which was well preserved apparently. As for Louis XVI I know of no authentification. I would be interested if anyone could quote other sources or any account of these exhumations and of any authentification, and of the transfer of the remains to St. Denis.

Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:33 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Mon May 14, 2007 10:17 am
Profile YIM
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I visited the Expiatoire Chapelle last July and I was surprised to read in their information papers that they talk about the place where the 'supposedly' bones of Louis XVI were. I read there that they were sure about MA's bones (giving all info you have already said) but they could not be 100% sure about LOUIS XVI.
However when you go down to the crypt, you may see an altar (see the picture) which was built in the exact position where LXVI 'supposedly' bones were. And it is even more curious that you cannot see any signal telling you the exact position MA's bones were.

In the same chapel, on the entrance door, you find a representation of the transfer of their bones to St. Denis.

Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:12 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Thanks for posting those links Pimprenelle.

Those are great photos Agila13.

Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2