Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 MA's tomb 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thats a little strange...how could her head be in the tomb? I thought they never found it. And how could you see her eyes...wouldnt they have decomposed?? I find it a little odd ..thats all.

Most reports claim that only a few bone fragments and possibly her garter were found...but not her head..and surely most of her body would have been nothing but bones if they had found the whole thing (without sounding too morbid)

Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:15 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Following Chateaubriand, her head was found and very recognizable. He recognized her smile, he said. Was it what Léo Ferré calls "le sourire des têtes de mort" ? :roll:

Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:39 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

But im still rather confused because Marie_Antoinette made it seem as if she was looking at her whole body including her eyes and head within the tomb. It just seemed odd :wink:

Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:45 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Well u cant really see the eyes but when they found the head they put it in the tomb.And well some parts of her body were whole and some others werent but I didnt look at that I looked at he head which smelled really bad! :oops:

Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:34 pm
Profile YIM
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Strange story, indeed... Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI's remains are supposed to be in Saint Denis since ages ! 8)

Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:18 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

but could the head have a smell (according to Marie_Antoinette it did :shock: )..wouldnt it have just been a skull (bone) ? And I didnt think that the skull was placed in the tomb..was it?

Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:53 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Of course ! When Marie Antoinette was removed, by the time of Chateaubriand, there were but bones, and some pieces of clothes.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:56 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Than...there couldnt have been a smell when Marie_Antoinette saw the remains..being that they were so old and only bones... :wink:

unless im mistaken

Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:01 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

By the way... How could anyone nowadays see the remains of Marie Antoinette ? She is buried in Saint Denis, now. This I really don't get. :shock:

Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:59 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

By the way... How could anyone nowadays see the remains of Marie Antoinette ? She is buried in Saint Denis, now. This I really don't get.

Yes!..this is what is confusing me... :shock:

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:58 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I was there and it was a little weird.. grave next to the grave.. but still it is amazing.. :)

Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:03 pm
Profile YIM
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

the head is were u can see the most part of it half of the head is like bones but the other half is alomost full so I just looked at the one that was alomost full and thats it thats all I saw.The rest of her body was bones so plz dont call me a lyer cuz they really opened I swear! :( :( :(

Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:13 pm
Profile YIM
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

We're not calling you a liar my sweet, we just think you have a very vivid imagination, which is good at your age so long as you keep it under close rein.... :wink:

Thankfully old bones don't have any real smell apart from mustiness...if any of you want to know what they smell like, go the the "catacombs" in Paris next time you visit, you'll get enough skulls and bones to last you several lifetimes.

To put the record straight, MA's remains were exhumed from the cimitière de la madeleine in 1815, time enough for them to decompose pretty completely. Eye witnesses (one of whom passed out I think) saw enough to convince them, fragments of clothing, hair on the skull surprizingly preserved, her garter and maybe her headband (which she threw off with a shake of her head before execution, her hands being bound). Chateaubriand talked about recognizing the Hapsburg jaw or mouth, though that seems poetic licence. I doubt whether anyone has opened the tomb, though as the current black marble tomb dates from fairly recently, maybe someone did at this time open the old tomb , although I presume the remains are inside a casket. Conjecture conjecture, maybe someone at saint Denis knows the facts.

Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:06 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:42 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I doubt whether anyone has opened the tomb, though as the current black marble tomb dates from fairly recently, maybe someone did at this time open the old tomb , although I presume the remains are inside a casket.

Although I'm guessing this was either before Marie_Antoinette's time or she still would have been too young to remember if she had been there. I for one don't believe your story, but that's not to say it isn't true! If you present us with some solid facts I would possibly change my mind! :wink:

Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:38 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next