Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Let them eat cake? 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I have heard different explanations. One is that Marie Leczinska said it. One is that Madame Sophie said something about the poor having to eat pastry crust if they had no bread, and this was misquoted and attributed to Antoinette. One is that Antoinette actually said 'let them eat brioche' and meant it as a kindly suggestion and not a dismissive remark. And another is that it was never said at all by anyone. The theory I have heard more often is that it was said by Marie Leczinska.

I think that brioche' is the same thing as bread so maybe she did say that I dont really know but I think she didnt because it was just a rumar that spread so that people waould think bad of marie antoinette it was all a mistunderstanding

Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:42 pm
Profile YIM
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marie-Antoinette never said that, it's sure :wink:

Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:45 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:04 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:30 pm
Profile WWW
Post Misunderstood.
MA was obviously misunderstood.
She didn't say "Let them eat cake" it was a stupid quote someone made up to go along with their new book/movie.
She seemed like she was a good mother and wife before she grew older and out of her innocence.
But I'm not even entirely sure she had an affair,
if her last words were an apology to her [b]exceicuter[/b] [*Spelling] for stepping on his foot, then how bad of a person could she be ?

Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:36 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Indeed, Marie-Antoinette regularly practised charity for the poor… she was not a malicious person… :D

Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:57 pm
Profile WWW
Noble
Noble

Post Re: Let them eat cake?
bluemarie12493 wrote:
Did MA realy say "Let them eat cake"?

Let them eat cake is most often attributed to Marie-Antoinette. But there has been no prof that she has said this. This quote was written by the french philosopher JJ Rousseau in Confessions. he wrote "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche" whixh literally means let them eat a eggy-based bread. he claimed that a "princess" told the peasants to eat brioche when she heard they had no bread. But Rousseau wrote this in 1766 when MA was only 10, living in austria and not married to Louis XVI. So i think its doubtful that MA uttered this phrase

La devise des coeurs : Je moeurs ou je m'attache
Gaston.

Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:43 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Oh dear
I really don't believe there would be many registered on this board if we actually did all believe that Marie Antoinette ever said such a cruel and thoughtless thing.

As it has been said, the phrase had been first attributed to Marie Thérèse, Louis XIV's Spanish wife in a slightly different context.

As it has also been said, it was credited also to Madame Sophie in 1751 after hearing that the Louis Ferdinand had been greeted with cries for bread during a recent visit to Paris.

I think it was first associated with Marie Antoinette during the Flour Wars, but everyone now should know that it is a fallicy. Fraser, I believe, appropriately called it something like a "handy journalist cliché."

Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:30 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I really don't believe there would be many registered on this board if we actually did all believe that Marie Antoinette ever said such a cruel and thoughtless thing.

Very true Gabrielle de Polastron!!....I like your simple yet "to the point" answers. :)

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3