Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Marie Antoinette House and the Maine Coon 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Marie Antoinette House and the Maine Coon
I do not know if everyone is familiar with the story of the Marie Antoinette House in Edgecomb, Maine. I am from Maine and have always been cognisant of the story and have visited the house myself, but I do not know if the story is known outside of the state.

The story begins with Captain Stephen Clough, a sympathetic American ship captain who, among others (including Fersen), had planned an elaborate escape for Marie Antoinette during her imprisonment in order to save her from her seemingly impending death. The story would have two interesting consequences for Maine history.

Clough had a house prepared for the Queen at his own expense so that she and her children could live happily and safely in the Americas.

His ship, was presumedly packed with a great deal of Marie Antoinette's personal property, including six of her favorite pet cats, in order to make her stay there more pleasant.

We all know that Marie Antoinette was killed before she could make it to her New England refuge, but the ship did sail and many of her personal belongings did arrive on the Maine Coast, including her six pet cats.

While the story remains shrowded in a great deal of mystery, the best proof of its validity comes from a solitary piece of cloth said to be taken from her "death gown," or the simple white dress she wore to the guillotine. The piece of fabric remains with the family today, although the other objects brought from France have been sold at auction, given to private collectors, and museums.

The house remains today, and is currently home to an antique dealer operating under the business name of Marie Antoinette House Antiques--http://www.mahantiques.com/

The story does not end there, however. There is another interesting twist--this time concerning the fate of those six cats.

The Maine Coon Cat is the oldest recognized cat breed in the United States. It is said, that upon arrival of Clough's vessel, the six long-haired cats were released or escaped into the woods of Maine and onto the streets of Wiscasset and Edgecomb, where they then interbred with resident short-haired cats and eventually became an entirely new breed.

While it seems a little far-fetched, the truth is that the origin of the Maine Coon Cat still remains unknown, but at one point in the breed's history, this "myth" was considered absolute truth.

Thought this would be fun to share! They certainly look rather regal to me.

Last edited by Gabrielle de Polastron on Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Thank you Gabrielle de Polastron for posting this interesting tale! I had indeed heard of the noble attempt to save the royal family and move them to Maine. That cat bit though is a bit far-fetched! :lol: They do look regal don't they?

Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:09 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I hadn't heard that before. Thanks for posting and the link.

Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:43 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Fraser makes a reference to the house in her biog of M-A.

Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:33 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:43 pm
Royalty
Royalty

It would be fun to write a story based on this, and MA AE. What if she made it?.......

Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:15 pm
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Oh I know! As a writer I am so excited about this "alternate ending" to MA's sad tale. :D Maybe I'll write a story when I find the time one day. Thank you, Gabrielle, for that really cool story. And I love cats! :D

~*vive la reine*~

Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:44 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Yes Princess Amelie, that would be a great story! :D What if...

Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:11 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I always thought it would be a lovely story as well.

I can totally imagine Antoinette in her rustic Trianon dresses frolicking on the Maine coast.

If only...

Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]