Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Royal Aunts 
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post The Royal Aunts
If anyone could give me some information on them, I would be pleased! From what I've heard they do not sound very nice, and were cruel to Marie Antoinette. :(

Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:46 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I advise you to go to this subject dear :

http://www.marie-antoinette.org/forum/v ... 99&start=0 :wink:

Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:53 pm
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Thank you Louis Charles. I looked to see if this topic was already started, but didn't see this :D

Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:00 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I have a lot of informations about Mesdames Tantes "The royal Aunts", because I'm very interested in them. Ces sont mes personnes de référence! :)

Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:47 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

They later reconciled with Antoinette and Louis, didn't they? And showed that they were sorry for the harm that they had done them in the past. Incidentally, does anyone know if there is truth in the rumour that Adelaide and her father had had an incestuous relationship or is that just a particularly nasty piece of court gossip?

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:26 pm
How did the two aunts survive the revolution?? Didnt they leave France with the royal family altogether as seen in the latest movie?? Also, I would like to know if today anyone has Marie Antoinette's blood in their veins, like her daugther's great great sons or whatever?? One last question, what happened to the king's two brothers and theirs wifes and sons once they left France?? Did they live in a luxurious exile somewhere until they died old?

Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:09 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: The Royal Aunts
I do not know a lot about the aunts, however I do know that during the revolution the aunts were in an convent, then fled to England. Shortly after they migrated to italy where they spent there last days.

In response to marcus' question, no. Marie therese was the only surviving child of the royal couple and had no children. As far as louis' brothers, louis xavier(comte de provence) and his wife marie josephine had no children. Charles, (comte de artois) had a few children I believe, one who married marie therese, but as I said, produced no heir.

:D

Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:11 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marco* my apologies.

Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:52 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Louis XV had four remaining daughter (Louise, the last one, was a nun). He had already lost the two twins, Henriette and the duchess of Parma, who were the children he loved the most. Thus he never found the same complicity with Adélaïde, who had a very strong personnality (she was a very mischievious child). With her two sisters, who didn't get married because there wasn't any suitable alliance in Europe at that time, she certainly got bored and spent her time castigating Mme de Pompadour and Mme du Barry. That's said, I do think they were well-intentioned, albeit narrow-minded (but who wouldn't be so with such a dull life ?). Adélaïde was very kind to Louis Auguste during his brother's illness for instance. But they were very conservative politically speaking (hostile to the Austrian alliance) and as regards to the etiquette. That's why I think they couldn't possibly get on well with Marie Antoinette in the long run. What's more, they were part of a generation that had been "skipped", since the throne went directly from Louis XV to his grandson, and Marie Antoinette's visible disdain towards "old" people worsened the frustration they might have felt.

Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:04 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ludy wrote:
Louis XV had four remaining daughter (Louise, the last one, was a nun). He had already lost the two twins, Henriette and the duchess of Parma, who were the children he loved the most. Thus he never found the same complicity with Adélaïde, who had a very strong personnality (she was a very mischievious child). With her two sisters, who didn't get married because there wasn't any suitable alliance in Europe at that time, she certainly got bored and spent her time castigating Mme de Pompadour and Mme du Barry. That's said, I do think they were well-intentioned, albeit narrow-minded (but who wouldn't be so with such a dull life ?). Adélaïde was very kind to Louis Auguste during his brother's illness for instance. But they were very conservative politically speaking (hostile to the Austrian alliance) and as regards to the etiquette. That's why I think they couldn't possibly get on well with Marie Antoinette in the long run. What's more, they were part of a generation that had been "skipped", since the throne went directly from Louis XV to his grandson, and Marie Antoinette's visible disdain towards "old" people worsened the frustration they might have felt.

Thank you for your input. I should correct myself and say that Mesdames tantes went to Italy.
Louise, We have just posted a bio on her and a portrait in the 18th Century portraits section!

Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:26 pm
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Regarding the aunts, I have heard that they were not nice to her as well. I read that it was one of them who actually coined the phrase 'L'Autrichienne' which is cetainly not nice...

"...little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her...I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult."
Edmund Burke, (1790)

Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:01 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Marco wrote:
One last question, what happened to the king's two brothers and theirs wifes and sons once they left France?? Did they live in a luxurious exile somewhere until they died old?

One of the king's brothers, the Comte de Provence, eventually returned to France from exile and became Louis XVIII when the monarchy was restored. He has hundreds, if not thousands, of living descendants.

The aunts were scheming, nasty spinsters who delibrately got Antoinette in a lot of hot water. They fled France at the beginning of the Revolution.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:16 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

And the Comte d'Artois also returned and later became Charles X. So the whole family got to reign for awhile. Of course, Charles X was kicked out in the Revolution of 1830 and that put an end to the Bourbons.

Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:11 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Quote:
One of the king's brothers, the Comte de Provence, eventually returned to France from exile and became Louis XVIII when the monarchy was restored. He has hundreds, if not thousands, of living descendants.

No, he doesn't.
He and his wife, were childless throughout there marriage.
She had three miscarriages.

Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:16 pm
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Comte, perhaps you can remind me what the deal was with the "miracle baby" thing? I'm remembering this vaguely, but my history is fuzzy. It was some royal around that time, late teens, who was assassinated, but then it was discovered after his death that his wife was pregnant and she had a son?

Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next