Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 what language did marie antoinette speak? 
Post what language did marie antoinette speak?
so random, i know. but i'm a little confused because she was from austria but was living in france. the thing is, i want to get a tattoo of marie antoinette..and the quote i'm getting with it, i would like it to be in the language she spoke.

Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:13 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

From what I know...she spoke both French and the Austrian language.

But as a suggestion...because she was the queen of France..why not have the quote in the french language. (just an idea :wink: )

Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:46 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marie-Antoinette spoke French (the french was the language used in the Imperial family), German, a little English and Italian :D

Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:24 am
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I didn't know that she spoke a little Italian

Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:11 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:15 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes she taught Italian when she was young, in Austria.
All the historians agree on this point :D

Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
Noble
Noble

Post Marie antoinette Language
Louis-Charles is quite correct. Louis was the first king to read write and speak fluent Englsih. Along with this as Louis-haarles suggests MA spoke the languages he mentioned but not fluently and often would laugh when she made a mistake.

Sadly and I dont know why I said that MA never lost the gutteral sound of the Austrian Language. To some people this was endearing to other it reminded them of an Austrian invader.

Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:41 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:59 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes Marie-Antoinette was not a little stupid woman :D

Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:30 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh of coarse not! ....I have never thought of Marie Antoinette being stupid. But I had never known that she spoke so many different languages. :D

Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:18 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:38 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I've read that Marie Antoinette's German didn't remain fluent when in France. Mercy say that she was unable to make correct sentences, although she still understood it. Does anybody have information about the queen's german ? It seems quite strange sb can lose the fluency in one's mother tongue ... :roll:

Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:58 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It's quite controversial, dear Lucy... It seems French people still don't want to be reminded that Marie Antoinette actually was an Austrian woman and first of all spoke German. This was her mother tongue, and she certainly not did forget it, for she spoke German with an officer in Varennes.

But it is true that Joseph was unhappy because she did not write in German, and that Madame Campan told that she had to have family correspondences translated in French. Well... did the good Henriette think that forgetting German was part of the Austrian queen's rehabilitation ?

She spoke German in Vienna, Vermond even noticed that she was not fluent enough in French and that she made "germanisms" mistakes while speaking. She did so while writing too.

She spoke French too, but this kind of French people spoke in Vienna, full of germanisms mistakes... She spoke Italian too, having learned it with Metastasio and through operas and songs she sang. She knew Italian enough to even propose Fersen to use Italian for political correspondence, which they finally did not, preferring cyphers ans invisible ink.

Then, she had English lessons. But how far did she succeed in practizing English, I wonder... ?

As far as French is concerned, being good at languages and once in France, she quickly made huge progresses and finally spoke and wrote fluently... always keeping this slight and exquisite accent, following Nesta Webster's or Chantal Thomas' books, for instance.

Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:30 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes that is exactly what I thought : for me it was in order to stress on her being well integrated in France. In the Tuileries, she once pretended not to understand a woman, that was talking to her in German whereas, as you said, she spoke to Bouillé in this language in Varennes.
On the other hand, she was only 14 when she left Austria, it is then a possibility she lost the fluency in her mother tongue, without utterly forgetting it. I really thought her whole correspondance was in French (with her mother at least) for it was one of Vienna's "official" language in a way. That's very interesting !
As for her English, I think (but I am not sure of it at all) that Madame Campan wrote that she gave up on her English lessons pretty soon, thus she's likely to have been less gifted at it than the king. However, it seems that she was able to have a conversation in this language, which isn't that bad.
German accent usually is very soft and pleasant to hear indeed, the Queen's slight one was probably delightful ! :D

Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:08 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

On the other hand, she was only 14 when she left Austria, it is then a possibility she lost the fluency in her mother tongue, without utterly forgetting it.

That's exactly my opinion, and it is wonderfully illustrated in Granier Deferre movie "L'Autrichienne". While happy, she almost forgets the lyrics of an old German song, but, later, facing death, she would pray in German. I think it is symbolically very true.

Quote:
I really thought her whole correspondance was in French (with her mother at least) for it was one of Vienna's "official" language in a way. That's very interesting !

Indeed, all her correspondence with her mother and her brothers is in French, which was the language of all fashionable courts, after all. I even read somewhere that Marie Therese wrote to all of her daughters in French, but this information should be checked.

Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next