Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Nesta Webster 
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post Nesta Webster
(Therese)
I finally have (half) a copy........I did not get it myself, a friend found it, but we did not realize it was in 2 parts...so I have the 2nd half "Louis XVI and M-A During the Revolution".

I am reading "The Fatal Friendship: Marie Antoinette and Count Ferson and the Flight to Varennes" by Stanley Loomis (1972)

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:40 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I am reading the second part of Webster's work right now myself! Great, we can read it together! I love the painting of the king giving alms to the poor. An eyewitness says that the painting is a true record of events. I wish I could copy that painting for the forum!

Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:35 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ladies, those two books are among my favorite ones ! Webster makes so clever suggestions, and, even if I don't agree with Loomis' conclusions, I deeply admire his method.

I am reading Louis XVI et Marie Antoinette, by Joël Félix. An amazing book too, I really enjoy !

Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:23 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, Webster's analysis is brilliant; she refers to many original letters and documents.

I agree, Pimprenelle, about Loomis. He is a responsible researcher, even if I do not agree with his ultimate interpretation. He presents the evidence and leaves the readers free to decide for themselves.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:35 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

A review of Nesta Webster's bio of Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette.

http://teaattrianon.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... sited.html

Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:44 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

First of all I would like to thank you for pointing out the outstanding work by Miss Webster. In the ocean of books about Marie Antoinette I could have easily missed it!
I´ve just finished the first tome (before the Revolution). What a great biography! Meticolous, objective and free of delirious fancies. The sociohistorical context is very precise and cleverly interpreted.
I had never read before about the possible involvement of the Freemasons in the revolution (and in the Necklace affair!)...very interesting.
What struck me most about this book is that Marie Antoinette (and Louis XVI) was already completely rehabilitated more than 70 years ago (Webster´s book was first published in 1936). It was maybe intended as a response to Zweig´s extremely popular but deeply flawed 1933 biography (a subjective psychoanalysis), which most harmed the Queen presenting her as a mediocre being.
In recent times Fraser and Co. had their time in re-reading her, but they did not invent ANYTHING: the real Marie Antoinette (maybe even a truer one than theirs) was already there to be appreciated.
I´m about to begin the second tome... during the Revolution!

Last edited by york74 on Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:50 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

First of all I would like to thank you for pointing out the outstanding work by Miss Webster. In the ocean of books about Marie Antoinette I could have easily missed it!
I´ve just finished the first tome (during the Revolution). What a great biography! Meticolous, objective and free of delirious fancies. The sociohistorical context is very precise and cleverly interpreted.
I had never read before about the possible involvement of the Freemasons in the revolution (and in the Necklace affair!)...very interesting.
What struck me most about this book is that Marie Antoinette (and Louis XVI) was already completely rehabilitated more than 70 years ago (Webster´s book was first published in 1936). It was maybe intended as a response to Zweig´s extremely popular but deeply flawed 1933 biography (a subjective psychoanalysis), which most harmed the Queen presenting her as a mediocre being.
In recent times Fraser and Co. had their time in re-reading her, but they did not invent ANYTHING: the real Marie Antoinette (maybe even a truer one than theirs) was already there to be appreciated.
I´m about to begin the second tome... during the Revolution!

York, I could not agree with you more. Webster's books, more than ANY other, rely on first hand accounts, memoirs, letters. Her bibliography is second to none. It is ONE OF THE BEST character studies of the King and Queen as a married couple, and as individuals.

Sadly, Webster was later accused of being a Fascist and so people dismiss her amazing work. But her brilliant scholarship is there for any one to see and assess for themselves, whatever her politics may have been.

You will love Part II!!!!!

Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:08 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Do you know if the French book "Marie Antoinette intime" by Webster is just a translation of the original English version? Thank you!

Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:45 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I wonder too... I guess it is not, since Nesta Webster wrote two different books about Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette. I think "Marie Antoinette intime" only kept those parts that concerned Marie Antoinette more specifically.

Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:38 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, I think "Marie-Antoinette Intime" was originally published in French- it is based on what she wrote about the queen in her other two books in English.

Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:51 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I'm not sure...I found this library reference:

Webster, Nesta
Marie-Antoinette intime / "Nesta Webster ; traduit de l'anglais par Elisabeth de Benque"
Paris : La Table Ronde, 1981

So it IS a translation: It could be a "patchwork" of the original English books...

Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:27 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

So it IS a translation: It could be a "patchwork" of the original English books...

That is what I think....

Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:36 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The best we have to do is to read both sides ! :D I'll try to order the books in English... I'd love to ! :D

Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:18 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I have both volumes and find them indispensable if one wants to do serious research.

Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:28 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I finished (well...devoured) part II...just as good as the first.
Yes, I think too this work by Webster is indispensable.
Together with Bertière and Delorme is really one of the best!

Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next