Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next
 Welcome to Marie Antoinette Online 
Hi! Simply put, I became familiar and soon obsessed with MA since I came across the news of Sofia Coppola's film in March of 2005. I think I may drive my boyfriend mad with all the information I've come across since then, and, in spurts of excitement, shared with him most gleefully. Even the morbidity of MA's fate and of those around her.

Am currently reading Antonia Fraser's The Journey and I almost finished. I think I may not be so much a glutton since I have been savouring every moment. I've been reading it very slowly, for months, with lots of internet research inbetween. (So many people to learn about in the French Court!)

I quite enjoyed Coppola's version of MA, with all the beautiful imagery and costumes! I recently purchased, watched and enjoyed The Affair of the Necklace, as well. I soon hope to purchase the PBS special and Marie Antoinette (1938).

I can't help myself but to be so interested! (well I could, but chose not to) I'm glad to be here where I can talk about it with others.

Since I enjoy period peices so much, I shall mention that I'm also a fan of Amadeus, Vanity Fair, Elizabeth, Pride & Prejudice, Sense & Sensibility, The Libertine, Immortal Beloved, even Interview with a Vampire. To name a few.

I love movies, books, art, music, and video games.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:38 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:39 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:56 pm
Post Introduction
From the age of seven when I visited Paris for the first time and went to Versailles with my parents to the Petit Trianon - I have been fascinated by Marie Antoinette's story. I know this will probably sound very morbid but I have been enthralled by the story of how they could have avoided capture and such a terrible end for the whole family, in particular the last few months of her life before execution, and how they found her remains in an unmarked grave. I have recently read Antonia Fraser's excellent book and Sophia Coppolla film and my interest has suddenly been re-awakened.

Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:23 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I am also obsessed with this idea of how they could have avoided capture... and how she could fly away, till the very last moment...

Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:47 am
Post Avoiding capture
If only they hadn't taken so much stuff and left in just the clothes they were standing in they could have avoided suspicion which ultimately led to detection and capture. They were so hated by the people, in some way they seemed almost oblivious to the outside world at Versailles, having watched Sophia Coppola's film I feel strangely closer to her, it was a bit like being a member of court. I am also facinated by the Romanov's the times may be different but the similarities to their downfall are the same - both were hated by their people mainly through propaganda put out at the times and partly through distrust, jealousy - simplified I guess you could called it ignorance. I find the whole subject fascinating but we can know very little as fact, as papers were destroyed so accounts can often be distorted - but at least France and Russia have allowed them to be buried according to status - even though they never found two bodies for the Romanovs (Tatianna and son Alexa).

Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:45 am
Royalty
Royalty

Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:55 pm
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Hans Axel and I am new to this forum. Because I am from Sweden my English is very ill so you will have to excuse me, but when I found this site I couldn't resist being part of it.

I don't know what else to say except I am very interested in the history of Marie Antoinette and those around her, but I guess everybody here are.

Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:28 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Welcome Hans! I love your avatar, is it from a museum or a repro website?

Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:44 am
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:43 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:51 pm
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Welcome Hans! I love your avatar, is it from a museum or a repro website?

It actually belonged to Fersen and now can be seen in Nordiska museet in Stockholm.

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:30 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

This brodered costume is just beautiful ! Do you have more pirctures of Fersen's things ? Please share with us !

Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:05 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Soyez le bienvenu, Hans Axel ! :D

This brodered costume is just beautiful ! Do you have more pirctures of Fersen's things ? Please share with us !

Here is a "snusdosa" (maybe "snuff box" in English) that Fersen gave to his cousin Charlotta Fredrika von Fersen:

But otherwise I don't have that many pictures of things, only of his family's castles and pictures of him of course.

Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:27 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Welcome to all the newcomers to our forum! It's really a delight to see more and more people interested in Antoinette (and Fersen!) and the period in general join us and expand our discussions.

As you have probably noticed I have been a little preoccupied and quiet on the site lately, however I have some new things in mind (including a site redesign - Pim you will like it I think, all based around the portrait you use as your avatar here!).

So I wanted to welcome you all and mention that if you have trouble with anything or have questions I am only a message away.

Your preoccupied but still here site admin,
Adrienne

Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:14 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next