Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 MA's tomb 
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

(edited, because someone PM me the information when you can visit the crypt)

I came across this post someone took a video inside of the crypt, just click on the link on the board, (I only downloaded a part of it because I have dial-up and it takes forever to load).

http://www.easypano.com/forum/display_t ... 6&get=last

Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:17 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh wow! It looks very peaceful and calming. Thankyou for the link..it was very interesting. :D

Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:13 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I was in St. Denis last year and saw nobody touching her breasts. This is the first news I have about it... :shock:
About the opening of her grave, I do not believe it...Do we have to assume that there is a replica of her bones there instead of the real MA? :shock: Where did you get the info about those openings? I heard nothing official about that....sorry for my misinformation.

Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:57 pm
Noble
Noble

Post Relics
Agila 13 If you look at the previous photograph presented by laurenlunatic in Jan 2007. You will see the chest area of MA which is polished with the passage of time, with hands stroking MA Breasts. This is not out of disrespect for the queen as the statue is leaning forward with suckling breasts for the children of france and one breast is cuped for this by MA hamd. I think people touch her there as to touch her heart in a loving way..

I am trying to also understand the previous posts of Marie Antoinette. Marie Antoinette said she had seen the grave of MA open to the public when she visited the Basilica at St Denis. The young lady is 13 and she has seen something and reported it here in faith and honesty. All I am trying to do is place this in context to the subject. From my knowledge. I have never known the crypt to be open or have I been there when it has. However I have read in the New York times that previously, preiodically the grave of MA was opened for atoinment of expiation for the French people.

Since the crypts recent refurbishment and being taken over by the French Department of historic buildings, I feel sure this past time has ceased. What I am trying to understand is what that young girl wrote, was not out of her imagination as she described MA as she was found on the 19th/20th January 1815 by Chateaubriand and another Gentleman, who I can not recall or locate the reference for this as I have said above. They described MA as virtually intact corpse.

The opening of the graves by the king was slow and very painstaking it took two days to locate the King and MA. Papers in the national and and other books avaiulable confirm there were only a few bones for the king and this mass of grey contained in a corset were found for the Queen. That is the point I am making. That if this is the case then what did marie antoinette see as she clearly describes the findings of Chateaubriand and the other witness and Matrie antoinette at 13 could not know that I believe.

I am not trying to suggest anything and I do know the contents of those graves are who they say they are albeit if only a number of bones and a grey mass. What I am trying to understand is the other side of the coin and as yet no one has posted there knowledge over the years of having an interest in this subject or the topic in this thread.

Last edited by CATBOOTS on Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:10 pm
Royalty
Royalty

If Marie_Antoinette could give us a date of her experience then perhaps we could verify. :roll:

Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:52 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I have never heard of Marie Antoinette's grave being opened, and this would astonish me, if it were the case. People in France do not open graves lightly, apart from very occasionally for DNA analyses to solve crimes or to establish lineage or parentage. There is a small matter of respect for the dead. No-one in France, apart from the royalists and certain sympathizers, feels that Marie Antoinette's death should be atoned for. Quite the contrary, ask the man in the street who knows very little about her, and he will probably say that she got what was coming to her! I seem to remember, though I might be mistaken, that our 13 year old Marie Antoinette, who claimed to have seen the grave opened, also claimed to be related to her...let's not take everything written here as gospel truth.

Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:15 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I have to admit, I'd like to see a forensic examination of Marie Antoinette's remains. I think it would answer many questions; the state of her health when she died, how tall she was, what caused her sore leg etc. etc.

So, (playing devil's advocate here) if the French are reluctant to open graves out of respect for the dead, yet the average Frenchman has little or no respect for Marie antoinette.... might it happen?

Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:08 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Why should the French open her tomb, out of pure curiosity?! That is not their nature believe me...it is also probably quite illegal, as an ex French citizen she benefits from the same rights as anyone else. You need a solid scientific reason to open the grave, historical curiosity is not enough.

Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:59 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Why should the French open her tomb, out of pure curiosity?! That is not their nature believe me...it is also probably quite illegal, as an ex French citizen she benefits from the same rights as anyone else. You need a solid scientific reason to open the grave, historical curiosity is not enough.

Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:03 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I'm not saying they should, but yes, out of curiosity. It's an interesting point though; how old do human remains have to be before we can happily dig them up and investigate them? We don't seem to have the same respectful squeamishness for ancient mummies, plague victims' mass graves etc...

Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5