Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Louis' Pets 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Louis' Pets
I do remember reading somewhere (I think it was Marie Antoinette: The Journey by Antonia Fraser) that Louis Auguste detested cats, and preferred dogs, whereas King Louis XV adored cats, and had a set of angora ones for himself.
I was wondering if anyone knows what sorts of pets he had, or even their breeds or names? Thanks.

Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:19 am
Profile WWW
Noble
Noble

Post CATS AND DOGS
Hello,

You are quite right Louis XV loved cats and there were quite a few around versailles at the time. Vincent Cronin describes the breeds that Louis XV loved and there was one specail cat that was known to the court at the time and was always was involved in sitting on the kings foot rest . It is in the early chapters of Cronin.

Louis XVI was a mechanical man, quite msculine and some what removed in some cases for all kinds of reasons from animals. I think he tolerated them but was more in the love of horses and hunting and looking after them in the stables. In lots of ways he was very down to earth and enjoyed the sweat of a working man in the foundry at versailles.

Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:08 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I have heard that Louis Auguste has a dog named Coco? Is this true?

Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:16 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

In Madame Campan's Memoires she mentions the dog Coco: "...and the Princess took with her a dog named Coco, which had belonged to Louis XVI." With "the Princess" she means Madame Royal.

In Campan's Memoires you can also read: "The mention of the little dog taken from the Temple by Madame Royale reminds me how fond all the family were of these creatures. Each Princess kept a different kind. Mesdames had beautiful spaniels; little grayhounds were preferred by Madame Elisabeth. Louis XVI. was the only one of all his family who had no dogs in his room." :D

Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:19 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Are you quite sure, Hans Axel ? I think Coco belonged to Louis Charles, the little Chou d'amour.

Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:25 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Are you quite sure, Hans Axel ? I think Coco belonged to Louis Charles, the little Chou d'amour.

I just quoted Madame Campan's Memoirs. You can look for youself. In my copy of the book from 2007 it is on the page 288. But now that I looked in to it it is in the chapter "Supplement to Chapter IX" which means it is not Madame Campan herself who has written it, but it is there and I don't think they made it up... The other part "The mention of the little dog taken from the Temple by Madame Royale reminds me..." is just after that part, but it is a quotation from D'HEZECQUES, p. 49.

Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:47 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Thanks anyway, Hans Axel and Pimprenelle :)

Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:15 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I checked my neon purple copy of Campan's memoirs, and I see nothing about Marie Therese taking little Coco. Maybe you have a different copy than I?? :wink:

Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:39 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Coco is mentioned in some sources and is even on the net. We discussed about Marie Antoinette's dog here. You'll find many pics of Antoinette's dogs, among them Coco's allegued thumb.

Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:24 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I checked my neon purple copy of Campan's memoirs, and I see nothing about Marie Therese taking little Coco. Maybe you have a different copy than I?? :wink:

I checked and the part I quoted is also in the Madame Campan's Memoirs that is avaliable on the internet. You can look for youself on this page: http://www.authorama.com/memoirs-of-mar ... -b-10.html You can search for "Coco" if you want to get directly to that part.

Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:15 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:09 am
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Louis' Pets
Marvelous! Thank you Hans Axel. :angel6:

Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:18 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Re: Louis' Pets
I would imagine Louis would love some sort of hound breed, or any other hunting/working dog groups for he loved hunting alot.

Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]