Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Olympe de Gouges 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Olympe de Gouges
The radical pamphlet writer Olympe de Gouges published Déclaration des droits de la femme et de la citoyenne (Declaration of the rights for women and citizens), which was dedicated to Marie Antoinette!
She wrote:"Woman is born free and lives equal to man in her rights. Women are now respected and excluded, under l'ancien régime they were despised and powerful"
Please,opinions, more info... :shock:

Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:50 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

That's also Madame Vigée Lebrun's opinion. She considered that, during the ancient regime, women reigned.

Wasn't the French revolution a men's thing ?

Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:02 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well the the declaration of the rights of man was sent to Louis XVI so Olympe de Gouges sent her "Declaration of the rights of Women" to Marie Antoinette because she was the most powerful woman in the country.

Under the old regime women were despised....look how much hatred was aimed at Marie Antoinette because she exhibited some form of "Power" And then theirs the stupid salic law.

The Revolution wasn't pro femminism either...the revolutionarys used icons such as Marie Antoinette and Charlotte Corday to discredit women. However Olympe de Gouges and other deluded themselves(At first) into believing it was pro femminism since it was the women of Paris who marched on Versailles on October 1789...however I know the revoltuoion disappointed Olympe de Gouges at some point because I know she was eventually executed (I think)

Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:36 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

And I just double checked she was executed November 3rd 1793.

Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]