Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 403 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
 Count Axel von Fersen and Marie Antoinette? 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Count Axel von Fersen and Marie Antoinette?
What do you guys think ? Do you think that Antoinette ever loved this man ? I , being a huge fan of Louis XVI , refuse to believe she ever loved him . Pardon if another member has posted this topic . How can you compare this :
to this? :

Louis XVI is so much more handsome ! :wink: :lol:

Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:14 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

We have quite an extensive discussion about it here:

http://www.marie-antoinette.org/forum/v ... .php?t=217

I think Louis was handsomer, too.

Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:13 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

just my "opinion", I think Fersen is a bit more handsome. There's something about his look that's very charming. I don't know all the details of Marie's life, but I can't help but think there may have been a possible love affair between the two. At least emotionally if not physical.

I'm sure MA, being the lovely, and sweet woman that she was, she cared a lot for Louis Auguste, though he was shy and a lil awkward. I can't help, but almost know for a fact that MA was a little lonely at heart and Fersen's charms attracted her to him. Many woman will look for love elsewhere if they don't get it from their men. I, for example, have had that experience... and as handsome as my husband is, I was attracted to someone else deeply who was far less attractive because he knew my heart, mind, and soul. So though, there was no physical affair between he and I, our souls were deeply in love with one another. He had my heart, but my husband was my life. That's why I believe MA and Fersen may have had something more than just friendship, but may not be sexually intimate! We may know of the Queens history, but may never know how her heart truly felt unless we were her herself.

Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:23 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Your comment is interesting, dear. However, it is but speculation. Back to historical researchs, we have nothing in Marie Antoinette's own handwriting proving that she loved count Fersen in one way or another. That, in my opinion, is relevant.

Now, if we get to personal interpretation and psychology, why would a lonely person as you imagine Marie Antoinette was fall in love with such a womanizer ? She would feel even more lonely, seeing him going away to spend wonderful time into one of his mistresses' sensual arms...

And, by the way, I am not sure, trying to put myself into Antoinette's shoes, that I would choose Fersen... :roll:

Fersen ?

Or Louis Auguste ? Hmmm... I think I'd pick my Louis ! :wink:

Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:47 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I highly doubt that an almost devout catholic, Antoinette would have an affair with such a man! With any man, as a matter of fact. And this is what really turned me off when reading Fraser's "The Journey". She builds up such a respectable queen, then agrees with popular, yet most likely untrue, belief!
Fersen had many lovers, so even if there was an affair, it would not have been a very happy or long-lasting one. :D :roll:

Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:32 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I don't believe she loved Ferson in that way. She adored his friendship. Plus how cute a love story is it that such a wild child fell in love with a shy young man (Louis)?

Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:10 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I don't believe she loved Ferson in that way. She adored his friendship. Plus how cute a love story is it that such a wild child fell in love with a shy young man (Louis)?

Delightful! That's how I see it!!

Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:13 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It just goes to show that difference is good sometimes. :D I should go carve a heart into a tree, then put "Louis and Antoinette forever" in it . :lol:

Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:29 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

well....it it said that louis looked much better in paintings than in real life

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:47 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

well....it it said that louis looked much better in paintings than in real life

It is hard for us to know how they looked in those days and it's hard to know what they considered beautiful. Also, beauty is certainly not everything, not today and not then. We're unfair to Antoinette if we think she could only love a beauty.

I'm not saying that you Monika has said something wrong, it's just the conversation that is unfair.

Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:02 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Then, those many novelists and biographers are unfair ! For they always insist on Fersen's amazing beauty. And they do compare him to fat Louis. So, we are intitled to compare them too, and to sincerely think about that.

Once again, I am not sure at all I would take Fersen. And as far as it goes to temper, I am quite sure I would prefer a loyal husband and a tender father to a cynical womanizer ! :wink:

So... Louis for husband and Fersen just for friend... among others friends ! :D

Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:21 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It is hard for us to know how they looked in those days and it's hard to know what they considered beautiful. Also, beauty is certainly not everything, not today and not then. We're unfair to Antoinette if we think she could only love a beauty.

I agree, Hans Axel. I have also read some contemporary accounts that described Louis as handsome. He did not get heavy until his thirties, and even then he was muscular and well-built. He was a just very awkward, a big awkward guy, very intellectual. But he was athletic as well.

Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:12 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Then, those many novelists and biographers are unfair ! For they always insist on Fersen's amazing beauty. And they do compare him to fat Louis. So, we are intitled to compare them too, and to sincerely think about that.

They are unfair, and we can laugh at them for thinking that Antoinette could only love a beauty. We can compare paintings of Fersen and Louis, but for what purpose? It's not like we can make any conclusions about Antoinette...

Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:04 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I agree with you. Of course, Antoinette loved people for what they where inside, not for their beauty ! However, authors always insist on Fersen's beauty, as if she could not resist, it, you see. That's ridiculous, of course ! But it is part of their point.

Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:39 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 403 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next