Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 British Royals vs. French Royals 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Austria had Maria Theresia AND eNGLAND hAD eLIZABETH i.. Ooops

Mon May 14, 2007 9:41 pm
Profile YIM
Noble
Noble

I think that French Royals are much more interesting than any other. Maybe this is becuase I love France and anything to do with it. It is just the beauty and elegance of their culture. Even today il est merveilleux!

Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:55 pm
Profile YIM
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I am most interested in the English/British monachy especially from Richard III to Charles II - who although a rogue in many ways - is a favourite of mine. The story of his escape from England has always touched me .... so many people helped him to flee through the land I know and love so much.

Viv

Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:13 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Austria had Maria Theresia AND eNGLAND hAD eLIZABETH i.. Ooops

England also had Victoria.... and Elizabeth II!

Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:30 pm
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I cannot decide between French and British royals!

I too am fascinated by Tudor history, but I have always been interested in French history. Perhaps it is because I have a romantic vision of the French court through history... :shock:

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:44 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:16 pm
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Post I'm Neutral
I'll have to say that any treachery, deceit, that happened in any European royal family is fascinating, or any power that has ruled! Either way each court had its own vivid and colorful story, and not to mention dark secrets.

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:34 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Re: British Royals vs. French Royals
1. Scottish Royals (up to James VI of Scotland who later became James I of England and THEN we have British Royals!!!)

2. English Royals

3. British Royals

4. French Royals

Just my opinion though :)

From the Declaration of Arbroath (Scottish Declaration of Independence), 1320.

Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:09 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh, the French, first and always. Do the Brits have royals? I hadn't noticed.

Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:18 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

:lol: Very droll Christophe lol!!! But I know what you mean - you can't read a newspaper or watch tv without Wills, Harry or Charles popping up somewhere!!! Gotta love them though :wink:

From the Declaration of Arbroath (Scottish Declaration of Independence), 1320.

Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:09 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Personally, I can't see it in terms of nationality. It depends so much on personalities and what interests you most in terms of people.

Frederick the Great, for instance, was a philosopher, poet, composer, expert strategist, wise ruler and - by most accounts - gay. Certainly matter for interest there, and his letters to and from Voltaire alone are worth a read.

Louis XV was, in some ways, the Kato Kaelin of the monarchy, charming, but often superficial. Yet he was probably more responsible for delaying reform and hence leaving his grandson (his own son died) a tinderbox which (as many had long predicted it would) finally caught fire. His mistresses were often more interesting than he was, but we wouldn't care about them if not for him.

The French Regent was fascinating, both for his scandalous life and his wisdom as a ruler (and the rather striking fact that he made no effort at all to parlay the regency into a permanent gig.)

I know less about the Brits of the period. Some French writers said they weren't really kings, since they weren't absolute monarchs (but then their role still exists, so they kind of had the last laugh there, didn't they?)

Catherine the Great was of course monumental. The fact that she probably had her husband killed even gives her a gritty touch you don't get with most of the others (though Frederick, while still a prince, had to watch his best friend get tortured to death, which probably had some impact on his subsequent character.)

Marie-Therese ruled a country - ruled it very closely - while bearing 16 children. Talk about having it all...

Her poor daughter tried to do exactly what she had been bred to do, but arrived at just the right historical moment to be blamed for all the class inequities that were in place when she got there, and to a husband with performance problems, at that. As an individual, I find her most interesting in adversity, when she showed a true nobility of character (a growth beautifully shown by Norma Shearer in her 1938 portrayal http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0030418/ - with Robert Morley in his first film role doing an excellent Louis XVI.)

Hard to pick by country then - it all comes down to individuals. But our period is filled with fascinating ones.

Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:25 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I think Philippe, the Duc d'Orléans (Louis XIV's brother) was pretty damn entertaining.

Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:01 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I have to agree with you, Dreamoutloud. The Duc d'Olreans makes for a fascinating character, and a wretched one. I think what motivated him was a determination to NOT be like his predecessors; to not be a fat, lazy prince soaked in wine and women. He wished to make his own mark on France and history, at a time and in a postion which pretty much excluded him from doing so. And when reading about him, one gets the impression that we don't know the half of it.

Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:47 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

So he soaked in wine and men? :wink: Agreed though, he was a totally fascinating figure. His military leadership in particular is interesting, I think.

Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:21 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

dreamoutloud wrote:
So he soaked in wine and men? :wink: Agreed though, he was a totally fascinating figure. His military leadership in particular is interesting, I think.

Is this still referring to Philippe (who seems to have been exuberantly, perhaps self-destructively, heterosexual)? It sounds more like Frederick.

Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next