Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Mozart and Marie Antoinette 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Mozart and Marie Antoinette
In the book The Last Queen of France claims she met Mozart and gave him a kiss on the cheek because he fell down and said, "You are kind, I would like to marry you."

In Fraser's book Marie Antoinette: The Journey states they met but this is not true. Mozart actually liked the Empress and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

What do you think happened to Mozart and Marie Antoinette? What do you think they said or you think is a fact?

Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:45 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

The version I prefer and tend to believe tells that Antoinette helped young Mozart off the floor when he slipped, and he charmingly told her she was kind and suggested that they someday marry. Such a sweet story! :)

<hugs>

Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:12 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, Athlynne and Louis-Antoinette, it is a sweet story.

The fact is certainly that Mozart was playing with his sister and father at the Schönbrunn in 1762. And the fact is that also little Marie-Antoinette was there listening to his playing and improvisations.

I think this litttle genius boy certainly made a great impression to this little girl, so in love with music. And that the little princess was also one of the most charming girls that Mozart had met.
But what they said to each other...as a fact? Hmm. One can never know for sure, I think,but does it really matter. I mean the positive impression was there anyway.

Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:36 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Stephan Zweig refuses this story, considering it a legend.

Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:56 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I heard it was a legend by both Antonia and Stephen.

Though it would be very adorable if this truly happened. :wink:

Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:07 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

When events are too beautiful, and when words are too wonderful, they almost always are legends... :roll:

Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:11 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I do wonder though why is it that when events do sound wonderful they turn out to be legends.

I guess people love to hear what they want to hear.

Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:12 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Precisely ! Someone pronounces a very normal sentence, out of fear or nervosity, for instance. Later, people change it a little bit more each time they repeat, till the whole sentence bacomes a very noble quotation !

That's why we have the impression that people mentionned by history spoke a so noble way ! :lol: and that we think "gosh... such wonderful words would never occur to my mind in such a critical position !" :lol:

Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:18 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I think it's especially harder for the directers and writers because they have to make sure the film is accurate, and they were not there what the historian figure actually said so they have to make the scenes look as if they actually did say it though they must be very careful, that's why must people when writing a script of history or a true story they immediately summon someone who wrote a book about them or is a historian that knows very well on the person what they actually would do or say.

That way they can check up on them saying, "Oh, this looks correct, logical." or "Yes they could of done this or that."

Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:24 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think the connection with Mozart is interesting, no matter what was actually said. His music captures the so much of the atmosphere of Antoinette's generation, the joie de vivre, the positive, hopeful outlook and the grace in the face of tragedy.

Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:31 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Mozart and Marie did have the same taste for music and the arts. That's why some people probably think they would have made a great pair, considering Mozart would play music, and she can dance to it. :)

Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:34 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hey ! For sure he could "smell" the subtil "air" of a whole generation... He was an Aquarius ! :wink:

Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:39 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:44 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I am actually surprised that Mozart never became court composer to the French monarchy under Marie's patronage. Their lives parallel each other very closely, being born in the same year. Does anyone know why the queen prefered Gluck over Mozart? After all, they did meet in that 'charming way' when they were young.

"Courage! I have shown it for years; think you I shall lose it at the moment when my sufferings are to end? "

Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:20 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marie-Antoinette liked the musics of Mozart, but I think that her taste for Gluck was stronger.

Morever Gluck was her professor of harpsichord in Vienna, therefore she knew him very well, and she owed him much of thing :D

Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next