Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Carrolly Erickson's: "Hidden Diary" 

What did you think of it?
One of Marie Antoinette's best books! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Good 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
Not bad... 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
I really don't like the book! 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 13

Carrolly Erickson's: "Hidden Diary" 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:03 pm
Royalty
Royalty

It's books like this that continue to ply the distorted images of the libelles to the public. I felt relieved to chuck this book in the rubbish bin where it belonged a few weeks after I wasted money purchasing it. :lol:

Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:09 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I believe in one scene "Marie Antoinette" or Erikson's fictional air-head Queen say "Louis is ugly! He looks like a pig!". Would Marie Antoinette ever say such things?! Come on!
And in every scene she is lolling around naked with "Axel". Honestly! Honestly! This is just... I don't know. Awful.

Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:05 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:08 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marie Antoinette would die again if she saw these disgraceful books. She would come back and haunt Erikson. O.o

Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:15 am
Royalty
Royalty

Please stop posting excerpts from this book, mes amis! C'est terrible. :shock:

Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:47 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I...there aren't words. I don't know where this woman did her research on MA....

~ Marie Antoinette to Marie Theresa, 11 November, 1780

http://WalltoWallPaintball.com

Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:07 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

What is terrible is that she already had written a serious bio of the queen, although it is not a good one. But that seems to make her believable....

Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:25 pm
Royalty
Royalty

True. And all this rubbish about "Stanny" (Louis-Stanislas-Xavier, Comte de Provence. She probably left out the Louis so her readers wouldn't be confused :lol:) is just ridiculous. I know that the three brothers had a rivalry, but they didn't openly hate eachother, at least not early on.

Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Carrolly Erickson's: "Hidden Diary"
I think this story would suit say a lady of the manor, a woman of a lower standing I feel it would have been more appropriate for someone else , certainly not Marie Antoinette .As vulgar as this is, I am so sorry but I cannot but help and laugh thinking about the chest hair being blond. When I think of chest hair I usually think of an Italian man, or a Greek man having dark chest hair. Marie Antoinette wouldn't even had talked with "Eric", because he's just a servant, you give orders, but you don't chat with him.

Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:20 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

This book got me interested in Marie Antoinette so I am very sad to know how many people who like M.A. think that it is bad. It is fictional and many things are pure guess (that M.A. could love a servant or be in love with Axel Fersen) but still it showed me Marie Antoinette as a real women that suffered from many bad circumstances in that time. I stopped seeing her as a bad and frivolous queen, her tragic end moved me, I started researching about her and changed many bad opinions that people I know had about her. After that book I didn’t read any about her life in form of historical novel, I was interested only in historical facts that I could find in other history books. That’s why I can’t talk about other books about her life, so please recommend me some book that is based more on true than fiction and describe M.A. life in more suitable form. That book showed me Marie Antoinette in a new way and inspired me a lot. I would like to read something else that is based on her life so I am waiting for your suggestions.

Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:55 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I will admit that the book did indeed portray her as a woman. I also admit that I like the tenderness Axel has towards her. I almost didn't read end of the book because the end was so disheartening.

Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:33 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Considering myself as a very strong and even sometimes cold person, end of the book really made me cry whole night :oops: :cry: . I even preyed that Marie Antoinette rest in peace, her last days were described that heart breaking. As more as I know her I respect her and understand her even more.

Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:45 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Quote:
but still it showed me Marie Antoinette as a real women that suffered from many bad circumstances in that time

Any serious and documented biography could do so, dear. For Marie Antoinette indeed was a real womand and indeed suffered many times in her life. There no need of a fiction.

Quote:
Considering myself as a very strong and even sometimes cold person, end of the book really made me cry whole night

Reading Marie Antoinette's last letter each time makes me cry.

Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:22 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Dear Marija, if you would like to know more about the real queen, from novels based on fact, I would recommend Chantal Thomas' Farewell My Queen or E.M. Vidal's Trianon.

Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next