Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Where could I research...... 
Noble
Noble

Post Where could I research......
Does anyone know how I would go about researching a specific item of Queen's clothing???? I am currently trying to get my hands on a copy of the 'Gazette des Atours', but cant find it anyplace here in the US.
Rachael

Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Where could I research......
Well, nothing of the queen's really survived, except shoes and fans. There is a picture of an apple green bodice in "Queen of Fashion." I have a copy of Gazette des Atours which I got from a search on Bookfinder, and it doesn't have any pictures of the Queen's actual clothes, just the fabrics used to make them.

Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:27 pm
Profile WWW
Noble
Noble

Thankyou very much Msr Andre~
This is where I myself have run 'dry'. I am not at liberty to say exactly what, but I am in posession of an article of wardrobe, that I believe was originally owned my Marie Antoinette. It has come to us vis Italy, is of genuine age and material, and has the Queen's momogram in silver embroidered on the frontis. I am so convinced it is genuine, I have it stored in a vault elcewhere, and dont even keep it here at the gallery.
I had heard the Gazette was a listing of sorts, that the Queen would choose her daily fashion from. I have found it at amazon france, but am not keen on paying 50 USD just for delivery.
Rachael

Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

...It must be an emotion to watch it and touch it...

Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:55 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Oh my, what type of garment is it!? Can you please, please give us a few photos, we would be so incredibly grateful!

As for the book, there is a whole section that is in French which I haven't translated and could well list some of her dresses, but the part that is actually a photocopy of her swatchbook just shows fabrics, not dress designs.

Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:26 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I would like to know about this garment! You should have it checked out by an antique dealer, they could tell you!

Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:34 pm
Noble
Noble

I have dealt with antique textiles and 'know' in my heart, this is from Marie Antoinette. But in this day and age, to be authenticated, there must be known of its existance in the time period~ ie in a listing of her wardrobe ect ect.
I must refer you to the book "Queen of Fashion", pages 118 &119, where it states it was common practice that when the Queen was finished with an article of clothing, she would give to members of her staff where they would use them themselves, or sell them to suppliment their own wages. She never wore a dress twice. There could be a wealth of gowns that originally belonged to her, that no one knows about because provenance has been lost.

I need to find someone in France that could steer me to the right person! I have not ever shown photos of it in public~ Ill have to think on it. LIke I said, I dont keep it here at the gallery, so have no worry of it's safety, but it means so much, to me as a historian, and admirer of Marie Antoinette, I dont want it to become a side show attraction, if you know what I mean. Yes~ To see with my own eyes, and to hold it, and KNOW that it was once hers, takes my breath away.
Rachael

Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
Noble
Noble

My heavens! What I would do to touch something like that. Bless you for keeping its precious possbile owner in mind with your purest of intentions...

I too agree...and wonder with so many items owned and passed on through the years how not more has survived!

Keep us posted,
Jacqueine

Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:37 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Do you know the history of how it got to you, who owned it before? Did you not have to pay a lot to acquire it? If that's not too indiscreet a question? :oops:

Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:37 pm
Noble
Noble

It has come to the museum via an anonon seller in Italy. They had absolutely no idea what it was, as they were nt regular dealers of textiles and the like. AS per price, I never disclose :oops:
Rachael

Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
Noble
Noble

If someone can tell me how to post a picture on the post here, I will show an image of it. I have brought it to the gallery today
Rachael

Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:02 pm
Profile WWW
Noble
Noble

Please, I beseech you...anyone...

can you instruct on loading pictures??

-Jacqueline

Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:21 pm
Royalty
Royalty

To add pictures from your computer, click the reply button, and under the area where you type your post there is a blue box that has two tabs. Click the "upload attachment" tab. To show images from the web, get the URL (adress) of the image, then go to a reply and click the "Img" button above where you type your post. Put the url in between the two bracketed texts.

Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:20 pm
Profile WWW
Noble
Noble

Very Well~ Ill give it a go. The artifact in case is a wonderful embroidered silk riticule, or purse. Age on this is estimated at last quarter 18th century, silk embroidery over lined silk, the monogram is layed on silver, couched on in gold silk, with solid silver spangles, and silver lace around the edge. The silver has tarnished to near black.
Attachment:
100_2904.JPG
100_2904.JPG [ 237.22 KiB | Viewed 1863 times ]

Rachael

Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:10 pm
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Thank you so much for posting!!!

Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next