Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Costumes and Clothing 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Costumes and Clothing
That would be awesome. The only problem is that people would feel that it's "oppressing" to women not being able to show their legs, etc. Personally I think its the exact opposite.
Most girls just want to wear sweat pants and a tee shirt and boots, not tiny little skirts and tight shirts. Women want to be more modest however they don't want to look like they stepped out of a Victorian novel.

I try not to show my chest in the morning the tradition being " a lady never unveils her bosom until noon." From a practical point of view I don't want to look a my classmate's chest in the morning, I hardly have the desire to eat let alone look at a girl's chest. I think its men who come up with the idea of exposing a woman's body. I apologize for bashing men, however men do have a tendency to be less modest (personality wise).

Even today we are kidding ourselves by dressing scantily, thinking its empowering. It's not empowering. We're conforming to what men want: to see a lot of skin.

I would absolutely love to wear 18th century fashions!

Sorry about this feminist rant. :oops:

Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:59 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I agree with what your saying. However, my fashion decisions have always been a liberating experience for me, and I have found over the years that they only way to feel good in your appearance, is to stop caring what everyone else thinks. Who cares if we are called "oppressors", or if we show our chests in the morning ( on a side note, I have never heard of this ) but, instead, dress the way you feel like. You will never be able to please everyone, and this isn't the 18th century anymore; we don't have to feel the confines of society's molds.

Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:17 am
Royalty
Royalty

Oh, of course I dress the way I please. I don't listen to what society dictates because their message is too mixed. I just prefer to be a bit more modest than other teenage girls 'tis all . I was pointing out that we couldn't dress in 18th century styles because the rest of society would reject to that if we were to attempt to bring back 18th century fashions. All right even though it is backwards we still wouldn't have to act like we lived in the 18th century. I was just ranting about society in general. :)

Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:11 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hellou wrote:

I was pointing out that we couldn't dress in 18th century styles because the rest of society would reject to that if we were to attempt to bring back 18th century fashions.

What, with all that plunging cleavage? We'd just love it girls! 8) Bring 'em back!

Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:20 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Er.... I don't want to show off my cleavage thank you very much. I don't know about everyone, however, not every woman would like to show their cleavage. I am perfectly aware how men enjoy seeing cleavage, men are visual creatures .The ladies just may object to that.

Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:01 pm
Royalty
Royalty

However you're talking to feminist here (or pusedo feminist). So I would like to get another woman's opinion before I state more.

Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:02 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I never had problems with showing my cleavage. I even think that clothes with a large cleavage are more suitable and more elegant.

And I am a feminist... :lol:

But choosing clothes has nothing to do with men or feminism, in my view. You dress up to please yourself. And it is such a pleasure ! :D

Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:32 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Pim wrote:

And it is such a pleasure !

Good for you Pim! :lol:

I think that revealing 18th century dresses with lovely colours and lacy fringes à la Pompadour should be obligatory! :lol:

Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:22 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Oh all right. Everyone else can show cleavage. I'm not. I get too cold easily, and embarrassed easily. :D *shyly looks down*

Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:47 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I don't mind showing my cleavange, I agree with Pim that dresses with a large cleavage are elegant.
But, in general, I absolutely agree about the too much skin shown-off today; I think hiding a bit more is much more charming an mysterious :wink:

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:57 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Pimprenelle wrote:

But choosing clothes has nothing to do with men or feminism, in my view. You dress up to please yourself. And it is such a pleasure ! :D

I agree Pimprenelle.

Thanks for the links Mademoiselle Tirbuck, I have been looking at the patterns and I'm thinking about giving it a try. Not sure how it would turn out but I have wanted to own a period dress.

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:22 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Oh those are beautiful! I have a hat I purchased in Williamsburg, and I would love to decorate it in the 18th Century style.

I wish hats were still en vogue!

~ Marie Antoinette to Marie Theresa, 11 November, 1780

http://WalltoWallPaintball.com

Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:10 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Pimprenelle wrote:
I never had problems with showing my cleavage. I even think that clothes with a large cleavage are more suitable and more elegant.

And I am a feminist... :lol:

Nicely said, Pimprenelle!

Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:38 am
Royalty
Royalty

As I've mentioned before, I don't mind when others dress the way they please. :) However I'm just saying I wouldn't wear them because I get too cold easily and embarrassed not to mention awkward. :)

Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:24 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Tirbuck, do you have a book of patterns for hat decorations?

~ Marie Antoinette to Marie Theresa, 11 November, 1780

http://WalltoWallPaintball.com

Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next