Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Reviews of the movie Marie Antoinette 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Reviews of the movie Marie Antoinette
Personally I liked the music of the movie..actually, it's one of the things I liked most :D
As for the rest, I think it wasn't a great movie, but there are still some aspects I liked. I've seen only one movie by Sofia Coppola (a part from MA, obviously), that is, Lost in Translation, and I liked that very much (I don't think it's so much on boredom...it's more on loneliness, or at least this was my impression); I think Sofia Coppola is good at conveying some subtle emotions, and also in MA there's some good moment in that sense; but I agree that the dialogues are very plain.
I liked the first part, the one describing Marie Antoinette's arrival at Versailles and her impact with that new world, while I didn't like the second one. I think the main fault of the movie is that it fails in describing her growing up to a woman; she always seem like a kind of girl. This is also because a lot of important events are not shown, and I didn't approve, because I think that, if you are interested only in MA's youth you shouldn't make a film about her entire life!

Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:47 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I totally agree with you Rosalie. I think you make a lot of good points that I had not noticed before. I liked the music very much too. I thought it worked well. :mrgreen:

Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:05 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you! :D

Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:58 pm
Noble
Noble

I believe that there should have been a better set of actors. I mean Louis was not short or have dark hair or eyes, though the actors portrail was good. My big issue with the movie was Dunst's portrail of Antoinette. She just shows her floping around in her pretty dresses, and the affair with Fersen....come on!

Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:28 pm
Post Pouah...
This could have been such a marvelous film if Coppola had put as much thought into the script and plotting as she did into the visuals and costumes. As it is, it's good eye candy for maybe fifteen or twenty minutes. Any longer and someone is bound to come running up to Marie to inform her some life changing event has taken place (not the smoothest way to make progress in the plot).

I appreciate the attempt to make these historical characters seem human, but do they have to talk like modern day undergrads playing Frisbee golf on a spring afternoon? Some eloquence and dignity could have been injected into the stilted dialog without losing contemporary sensibilities. I don't want to have the image in my head of Marie-Antoinette destroying her credit score with Dolce & Gabanna as she cracks and pops her sugarless gum, occasionally exclaiming "Ohmigod!" Okay, maybe she would have more in common with Paris Hilton than Paris, France, but what does that do for revisiting her image?

The people I've heard from who have seen this film were shocked at the revelation that "something" existed between Count Fersen and Marie-Antoinette. It's true enough that the possibility (or likelihood) that the Queen shared her affections with a man other than the King is not the kind of detail history classes explain, and perhaps Coppola would have done better to slowly introduce this relationship. But I suppose she was going for eye candy again--Jamie Dornan as Fersen is a whole lot easier on the eyes that Jason Schwartzman's Louis XVI.

All right, I'm prattling on about a film that while it didn't meet my hopes, isn't the worst film I've ever seen either. On that point, I'll refrain from getting into the ending. And hey, if you're a child of the 1980's, you'll love the soundtrack.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:27 am
Peasant
Peasant

I think this film is mainly destined for teenagers, who don't know anything about Marie Antoinette, except, maybe, that she was beheaded, but go to see the film, because it is marketed as sugar coated, fun and popsy, has Kirsten Dunst (although, I have to admit - she wouldn't have been my choice for this role), some great music and mind blowing costumes (and just as mind blowing PR, of course).

I see this film as a good starting point (despite its historical inaccuracies and overall anti-historical attitude) to encourage people to seek more info about the real Queen, since it is a mainstream film, perhaps the only mainstream film about Marie Antoinette's life, which means a lot of people get to watch it.

And I have to admit that some scenes were really powerful, especially the very last.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:00 am
Royalty
Royalty

Interesting........I recently read some where that Jason Swartzman (Louis XVI) is Sopia Coppola's cousin. I can only wonder if that had something to do with his (mis)-casting in the role!

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:21 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Welcome to the forum Une Petite Fleur, you sound like you will be a very valuable addition to our community !

Lilly- I didn’t know about that. But the cinema indistry is very prone to corruption, so that is not astonishing in the end.

Something similar happened in another film that has been discussed on this forum: “l’Allee du Roi”. The woman cast as the Montespan is the director’s own daughter. It leapt to the eye that it was a huge miscast. I can’t help cringing any time the Montespan shows up on screen now. Not only is she only average as far as acting goes (she hams it up big time), but she is not a very beautiful woman either. She is pretty, but seeing as the film is rife with hints at Madame de Montespan’s surreal beauty, such a poor cast verges on the ridicule.
The last straw was: “The King was celebrating the fact that he had, at last, managed to bed magnificent Madame de Montespan”... hum, yeah, definitely worth celebrating, lol.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16