Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Court etiquette at Versailles 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Sweet
All of you know quite extensively about Marie Antoinette I should see why people do read these forums time to time. I don't have valuable information, or know of government conspiracies. All I remember is queer facts like Johnny Cash was an avid quilter. Otherwise Im quite useless. :oops:

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:44 am
Royalty
Royalty

Also, Diana Reid Haig, who is the author of the book on which the website you quoted your rules from Hans Axel, is also a member of this forum (although she has never posted to the boards).

I think it is testament to the depth and breadth of discussion here that Antoinette scholars have been known to read our words and correspond with us from time to time.

Hellou-Librorum - I am quite sure you are not useless ... sometimes asking a question can lead to amazing things on these boards so just because you don't have answers doesn't mean that you don't have a contribution to make!

Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:29 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Sweet
Hellou_Librorum wrote:
All of you know quite extensively about Marie Antoinette I should see why people do read these forums time to time. I don't have valuable information, or know of government conspiracies. All I remember is queer facts like Johnny Cash was an avid quilter. Otherwise Im quite useless. :oops:

I'm sorry, I know this is way off topic, but...Johnny Cash was really a quilter?? I love both (Johnny Cash and quilting) and have never heard this before! :?:

Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:12 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

-- Only ushers were allowed to open doors. If a visitor desired to leave a room, they had to wait for the usher to open the door.

I like this one. But I had a funny image of there being an argument and someone wanting to leave and having to impatiently wait. I bet that takes the sting out of storming out of a room! LOL

~ Marie Antoinette to Marie Theresa, 11 November, 1780

http://WalltoWallPaintball.com

Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:28 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Well actually, if the ushers saw someone storming toward the door they would open it before the person had the chance to themselves. The ushers were good at not making the people stop to wait for the door to open.

Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:38 pm
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Oh well that's good at least! It was funny in my head though!

~ Marie Antoinette to Marie Theresa, 11 November, 1780

http://WalltoWallPaintball.com

Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:42 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Post Interesting....
Now that I think about it's really quite amusing.

:)

Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:40 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Re: Etiquette..........
Hans Axel wrote:
I read on this website http://www.reidproductions.com/mariebookpage.php about some rules of Versailles:

"-- Knocking on doors was forbidden. Instead, in 1694, a rule was instituted that if entry was desired, the visitor should scratch on a door with the little finger.

-- Only ushers were allowed to open doors. If a visitor desired to leave a room, they had to wait for the usher to open the door.

-- A distinctive gliding walk was used by ladies at Versailles in which they never lifted the foot so as not to step on the train of the woman in front of them. Marie-Antoinette mastered this, and all her ladies were required to learn to walk without raising their feet from the ground.

-- People of different rank entered a room in order, princes first, then officers of the Court, and finally courtiers. The page opened both halves of the tall double door for a prince, but for lower ranked dignitaries, only one side swung open

-- Wall hangings at Versailles were changed twice a year for winter and summer. Between All Saint’s Day and Easter, the château’s tall windows were sealed with strips of tape to keep out cold air.

-- The royal Family was not allowed to pour a glass of water or reach for food themselves. Meals, refreshments, and items of clothing had to be handed or served to them, sometimes on silver trays, according to tradition. Mme. Campan famously tells a story of Marie-Antoinette impatiently shivering while waiting to be dressed as her petticoat is passed from one lady to another of higher rank. "

Thank You Hans Axel!

I actually read a few books on Empress Sissi (Elizbeth) of Austria, as I have always been very interested in Her too...
Well, the descriptions of Protocol and Etiquette in those is very similar to what you kindly posted.
There was additional information on rules regarding how to conduct oneself in the presence of The Empress, depending on Rank, but otherwise it was almost
exactly the same.

Angelique X

Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:55 am
Profile YIM WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Court etiquette at Versailles
Sorry, I would like to point out about the breeches. Men breeches in fact had "splayed legs" that would allow a gentleman to ride astride so the seams wouldn't rip so they could sit and actually squat! The reason why the legs where splayed out is because the knees and the waist were "constricted". I find this information from my copy of Costume Close-Up. So I'm finding difficulty why the gentlemen had to sit down, because probably it was unbecoming to plop down on a chair?

Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:08 pm
Royalty
Royalty

How is Costume Close-Up? I have been considering buying it. What sorts of images are in it?

Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:54 am
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

I am really quite fond of it. Even though they have patterns , but I've not a single clue as to scale patterns :oops:, however it really does help me understand the patterns I am working with even more. I recommend it entirely! :)

Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:38 pm
Royalty
Royalty

The sort of pictures are garments and the interior of garments to illustrate how they were constructed, you could look it up on amazon. I hope this helps! :)

Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:01 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I couldn't imagine how awful it must have been if you were famished or parched that having to wait for it to be served handed from lady to lady, rather than grabbing water or food for yourself, that would have been torture for me!

Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:14 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Hi, everyone! Here is some further information about etiquette from the website Paris Atelier: Life with a French Flair. The article title is "How Rude Madame!" and the date is January 3, 2009.

"The king and queen always had a fauteuil (armchair) to sit on. In their presence, no one else was allowed an armchair, unless you were also a monarch."

"A chair with a back but no arms was allowed for those closest in rank to the king, such as his brother or children."

"A tabouret, a padded stool was awarded to those holding the rank of duchess. Lesser ranking nobility would be expected to stand."

Anyone have any information about whether this seating rule applied if one was not in the presence of the king, but in the presence of the dauphin? Would the dauphin have then been the only one to sit in an armchair? And what about if one was in the queen's presence or the dauphine's?

Thanks for your help with this question!

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2