Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 The king 

How do you consider the king Louis XVI?
awkward and influenced by the queen but with good purposes (victime) 22%  22%  [ 10 ]
a person who couldn't care less as regards the need of his people (guilty) 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
good and generous, ready to sacrifice his life for his people (he was called Louis the good man for his simplicity!!) 76%  76%  [ 34 ]
Total votes : 45

The king 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: The king
Yes, I agree with you Lux. I think the problem is that, with political rulers, one has to consider criteria of behaviour which are different from the ones according to which we judge common people. Louis was a very good man, and also a good king, because he was intelligent and he did reforms that his ancestors had not done. But the problem is, when a ruler has to cope with difficult times (times of changes above all) it's somehow more important the attitude he shows, the confidence he can inspire in his people, even if he does something that, for us, is not completely right. Louis' greatest problem was that he didn't have the ability of handling this. I think he was that kind of person who always thinks a lot before doing anything (he was a thinker, in the end) and this something thai I personally admire very much, but that can be dangerous in a political man, if it's pushed to the extreme. His indecisivness was fatal, because the people felt they couldn't really trust him.
It's something that makes me sad, when I think of it, because I think he didn't deserve his destiny at all. And it's true: in another time people would have regarded him just as a good, mild and benevolent king.

By the way, I have a question: did he abolish death penalty in France? Do you know? I read it somewhere but I can't remember the source, so I'm not sure it's true.

Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:10 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I don't understand why it happened. He was such a good king, why would you want to rid of a good monarch!?! Who made reforms, I believe he abolished torture because he thought it was barbaric.

Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:52 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Louis banned the use of some of the more brutal execution devices, but he didn't abolish the death penalty.

Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:52 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ok, thank you!
I think it was a matter of times, people had grown discontented with the monarchy, and the discontent was fostered by revolutionary leaders...it was not particularly because of Louis XVI. And yes, he was a good king, he was just in wrong time :(

Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:55 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Louis XVI abolished the use of the wheel as a torture device it wasn't until 1981 the death penalty was abolished entirely.

Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6