Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Letter Exchange 

Are you interested in exchanging letters with other members of our board?
I'd like to write and receive letters 83%  83%  [ 33 ]
I'd like to write letters 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'd like to receive letters 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
I'm interested but worried about my privacy 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
I'm not interested at all 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 40

Letter Exchange 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Letter Exchange
Quote:
Letter exchange participants
  • Comte de Provence
  • baron de batz
  • Anouk
  • Dauphine
  • versailles
  • agila13
  • Christophe
  • Rosalie
  • AxelRocksMyWorld
  • Lilly

Dear Friends,

The Comte de Provence and I have been discussing an idea via private message that we thought some (or all!) of you might be interested in. Roughly, the idea is that we make available the opportunity to write real letters (yes, with a pen a paper!) to each other.

I shall leave Provence to describe the story of how he came up with this idea, which I am sure he will do very soon.

In the meantime we are interested in knowing how many of you would be interested in participating (writing or receiving letters). We are also very aware of protecting people's identities and personal information and have been discussing methods which will help keep us all safe and our private information private. I shall outline some of my ideas in a post to come if it looks like this idea is popular amongst you all. If you would like to make a suggestion about protecting privacy we would love to hear from you about that also.

So, what do you think?

Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:13 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Letter Exchange
I think it's a very good idea!

Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:32 am
Noble
Noble

I really like the idea! x

Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:08 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I perfectly agree! It's a very good idea and I've always liked writing letters. My only problem, at the moment, is that I'm abroad for research, so my present address will soon be changed...but I'm sure I can work that out :D
So ciunt me in! I'm waiting for your post!

Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:56 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Okay! I'm here to tell all!
So, I was coming home from a trip to georgia (the state not the country!) and I was thinking about what marie antoinette did to talk to people. Like one of those if I didn't have a phone what would I do kind of thoughts. Well then I thought about how she wrote letters, so then I sent a message to adrienne and asked and here we are.

:]

Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:23 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

So it's something like trying to communicate the way she did as to understand her better, right? I think it's a good idea.

Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:44 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Yes nowadays people can forget how to communicate without internet and phone... it's a really good opportunity to write to each other like so many years ago.

Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:32 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It's a fantastic idea, like having a pen-pal. However, I wouldn't give anyone my address or contact information.... :?

Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:45 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Post Exchanging Addresses
There are two ways that we can go about exchanging addresses.

The first is for those who wish to receive letters to find someone who wishes to send letters and give them your address via private message. This of course relies on you trusting that person with your private information. Anyone is free to do this if they wish, as it is done privately none of us will even know.

The second method is to use a central mail box for our mail. All letters are addressed to the intended recipients but mailed to the same address. They are then forwarded to the intended recipient by the person entrusted with the mailbox. Let us use two members here to illustrate. Let us imagine that Anouk wishes to send a letter to Rosalie. We are using the central mailbox which is maintained by me, Adrienne. I give the address of the central mailbox to everyone who is intending to write letters and all the mail, including Anouk's letter to Rosalie, is mailed to me.

The address might be something like this

Anouk
c/o Adrienne
Editor Marie Antoinette Online
PO Box 234
Capital City, State, Country, Postcode

In the meantime all those wishing to receive letters have given me the address that they would like their mail forwarded to. When I receive Anouk's letter in the central mailbox, I look up Rosalie's address and forward the mail.
The advantages of this system is that only one person needs to be entrusted with your address. On the downside your mail will take longer to arrive at its destination and you must place significant trust in the mailbox manager to keep your address and personal details secure.

Any thoughts? Alternative suggestions?

Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:46 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Royalty
Royalty

OK, I agree. It's a good way to avoid abuse.

Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:56 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

works for me :]
yes, rosalie that exactly how i thought of it.
im now reading ''queen of fashion" by caroline weber, and it shows how much was sent back and forth to MA and her mother, to mercy and so on.
this is what gave the idea.
id like to see more replies :]

Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, I think this method of referring to only one mailbox is good.
Comte de Provence, I also think MA's correspondence is very interesting. If you read the letters between her, her mother and Mercy you can see and appreciate their different charachters even under the standards of 18th century correpondence! Maria Theresa is always quite controlled, she uses always the same formulas to say goodbye, for example, and she coldly and consciously uses all the psychological techniques to make her daughter do what she wants. Mercy, I find, is also controlled and very clever, I mean, he does a lot of intelligent remarks. MA, especially when she was very young lets her feeling appear much more, she is full of affectionate expressions towards her mother and uses different ways to open or close her letters according to the moment...You see her soul there!

Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:17 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh yes! I love it.
I couldn't have said it any better rosalie!

Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
PLEASE WRITE TO ME, I STUDIED FRENCH AT THE UNIVERSITY, I WOULE LIKE PENPALS TO PRACTICE MY FRENCH. MERCI

**Edited to remove private details

Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:18 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well, LOLO123, we here are an english board, but we could, I suppose write in french. We don't want you forgetting the langauge now do we?

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:17 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next