Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Did Madame Du Barry have a lisp? 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Did Madame Du Barry have a lisp?
I believe both women had violet eyes.

Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:28 pm
Royalty
Royalty

To back to topic, I read that in XVIII century, almost every aristocrat women had a lisp. I read this info in a wonderful book (The necklace of the Queen) written by a literature-historian... it's awful! :shock:

Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:09 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I don’t know how we can confirm that but I doubt since one of the big virtue for a woman of that time was modesty. To lisp is not that modest. :?

Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:59 am
Royalty
Royalty

sure, it's not. That's why I can imagine them lisping

Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:56 am
Royalty
Royalty

Isn't it ironic that modesty was a virtue, but the 18th century is always seen as decadent and corrupt? And what about the low cut dresses? Modest?

Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:07 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

That is such a big irony.:home:
Revolution surely wasn’t that unexpected.

Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:53 pm
Royalty
Royalty

A bit off topic: I was just reading an old review (1992) off Amazon of Joan Haslip's biography 'Madame duBarry: the Wages of Beauty' that the book claims: 'Mme. du Barry was also hated, especially by Marie Antoinette, who arranged to have her imprisoned after the death of Louis' Has anyone ever heard this weird "fact"?! Does it refer to the death of Louis XV (probable) or Louis XVI?

Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:04 am
Royalty
Royalty

I am sure she never did it!

Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:18 am
Noble
Noble

Délicate fleur wrote:
Yes, she was said to have bewitching violet eyes. I cannot sympathize too greatly with the du Barry as she and her anti-choiseulistes did much to harm the reputation of Antoinette. It was not till many, many years later in dire circumstances did she rally to Antoinette's cause.

If it's true that MA snubbed her then had her imprisoned, it's pretty hard to blame her....

Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:40 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

sorry...but what is a lisp? :shock:

reine :angel6:

Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:02 am
Royalty
Royalty

Lisp is a kind of impediment in speech. You pronounce "s" or "z" insted of "sh".
In XVIIIth century almost everybody including men lisped. It meant they pronounced voces so frilly and too deliciously. Then it was not speech defect, it was normal, it was some form of etiquette. But I am sure it was prevalent only in aristocracy. I can't imagine peasants lisping.

Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:34 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I didn't know it was not modest to have a lisp. I mean, it merely is a defect of pronounciaiton. I read Du Barry had a lisp, indeed, the first time she saw Marie-Antoinette, following Chalon (who isn't a very reliable source though, especially when it comes to la Du Barry) she may have said "elle est sarmante, cette petite" (she's a sarming young lady). She was renowned for that, for it was considered as cute and childish. Whether it was natural or not is another question. Then, I doubt everybody had a lisp in the XVIII century, otherwise, it wouldn't even have been reported.

Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:13 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

thank you for the information, dear Anouk :queen:

reine :angel6:

Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:41 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Ludy wrote:
Then, I doubt everybody had a lisp in the XVIII century, otherwise, it wouldn't even have been reported.

I think it was the aristocracy's diction! Just think of that sentimental, lyrical century! Why not? :roll:
I read this in a historian and literature-scientist's book on the affaire of the necklace (Antal Szerb).

Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:28 am
Royalty
Royalty

Délicate fleur wrote:
A bit off topic: I was just reading an old review (1992) off Amazon of Joan Haslip's biography 'Madame duBarry: the Wages of Beauty' that the book claims: 'Mme. du Barry was also hated, especially by Marie Antoinette, who arranged to have her imprisoned after the death of Louis' Has anyone ever heard this weird "fact"?! Does it refer to the death of Louis XV (probable) or Louis XVI?

I am in the process of reading this book, although it is not my first book on DuBarry. Haslip does claim that she had a lisp. A lisp does not mean that she had any terrible speech impediment, and this could have in a way, been sexy to men. She was apparently ravishingly beautiful - and she was told later in life by a courtier that every woman at court had been jealous and had wanted to be her. Some women hate beautiful women and are jealous - and I suspect that this woman's beauty put other women off - hence explaining some of the hatred toward her (along with other things).
I am sorry to hear that Haslip is going to make the claim that Marie Antoinette imprisoned DuBarry in the book - I found an assertion she makes in the fist 8 pages of the book that she had no sources for and which seems very unlikely to me. So I already do not trust her info. Madame DuBarry went into a convent for a period of time after Louis XV died, as was customary for a king's mistress. She was allowed to return to her estate where she lived until she was murdered by the revolutionaries.

A woman of our century whose violet eyes were always talked about (not any more) was Elizabeth Taylor.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next