Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 If you had lived in the 18th century… 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post If you had lived in the 18th century…

Imagine living in the 18th century, without modern technology and knowledge. Compare the life you are living now with the life you might had lived if you were born in the 18th century. Would you be happier? Would you find hard to wear corsets (women), wigs (men) and behave according to all those rules of modesty and politeness. How would you feel to replace the car with carriage, mails with letters, photo with picture (portrait), dating with contract marriage, toilette with pot, light (electricity) with candles… Imagine the life without the bathroom as we have today, with poor hygiene and medicine. Imagine also lovely dresses, balls, romance, wonderful music and artworks, rococo style…

I am very curious to hear your opinion. From this point, how would you feel to live in the 18th century?

Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:52 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: If you had lived in the 18th century…
I think however terribly romantic it was, I would much rather live in these times! Sure, there would be less pollution and crime, modern malaise and all of that but also disease, corsets, poor medicine, minimal rights for women and so on. I prefer to look back on these times with fond feelings but no desire to live there.

Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:02 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well, it depends very much on where and what you were born: I mean, the conditions of commoners and workers were much worse than now. But imagining I were born in a well-off family, well..I don't know. I wouldn't lke it because, being a woman, I would not have the freedom I have now; I don't care so much about facilities, but of course thinking about poor hygiene and medical knowledge I also prefer the 21st century. But on the other side, that was a time when gentlemen still existed (well, also now, but fewer unluckily :wink: ) and people could express their feelings in a way now they don't. Ok, ok, maybe this is too romantic, but son't you sometimes feel like people don't speak the right words anymore?
Anyway, the conclusion is that, considerind all together, I prefer living now :wink:

Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:33 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It is hard to decide. I like living now but all together life is not so better than it was back then, with all poverty, wars, pollution, illness like cancer, aids, depression… Now everything is so banal and simplified – art, literature, people behaviour… I like that divine form that existed in the 18th century in so many aspects of life. Not to mention gentlemen.
As I am concerned, I would go back to the 18th century immediately if only the level of hygiene wasn’t as bad as it was. :wink:

Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:35 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marija Vera wrote:
Now everything is so banal and simplified – art, literature, people behaviour… I like that divine form that existed in the 18th century in so many aspects of life.

This is exactly what I meant: I couldn't have found better words.
And yes, speaking of illnesses I didn't think about depression, which can be considered one of the great illnesses of our time and is too often underestimated.
I think in the end, what really makes me glad of living today is the fact women have the right to decide of their lives. The rest, actually, is not so better than then, just different.

Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:27 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I don't really know. You would be happy because you wouldn't be aware of the technology then. If I had to live back in the 18th century I would have liked to be a horse, because horses were treated better than most people were. Although the pretty dresses does sound quite alluring! :)

Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:14 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well, if you had lived in the 18th century in some noble family you would had had rather calm life but if you were born as a peasant… not really. That is the same like today; think about hungry children in Africa and their lives. Unfortunately that inequality can’t be solved easily today as it couldn’t be solved easily during the reign of Luis XVI. However, society improved tremendously over the time in some way but, I agree, in the other is just different.

Rosalie wrote:
Marija Vera wrote:
Now everything is so banal and simplified – art, literature, people behaviour… I like that divine form that existed in the 18th century in so many aspects of life.

This is exactly what I meant: I couldn't have found better words.
And yes, speaking of illnesses I didn't think about depression, which can be considered one of the great illnesses of our time and is too often underestimated.
I think in the end, what really makes me glad of living today is the fact women have the right to decide of their lives. The rest, actually, is not so better than then, just different.

Thank you, I am glad that, despite my not so good English knowledge, I can make meaningful, good sentence. :) 8)

Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:16 pm
Royalty
Royalty

To assure you, you probably speak better English than I do and I am a native speaker. :)

Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:23 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

If only I don’t have all those problems with tenses, phrasal verbs, passive voice, indirect speech, if clauses… :roll:

Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:07 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Yes, English is quite a difficult language, just remember some of Antoinette's amusing language faux pas. You do very well, dear!

Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:19 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thanks! :)

Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:31 am
Royalty
Royalty

Stays, ladies, not corsets.

not

Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:21 am
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Well corsets are indeed an 19th century term not an 18th century term however I suppose you could use the term corset if one has an idea of what you are suggesting. Thank you for informing those of us who did not know. However, M. Andre I must reprimand for your tone Monsieur, if you insist on correcting everyone else; I am suspecting that you are using a rather curt tone, if I may be bold enough to say so myself Monsieur.If you are not then I retract my previous statement entirely.

Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:05 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you for pictures. In my language we use term corset (korset) so I just translated it like that. I will look in the dictionary. I didn’t know for that difference.

Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:09 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Wasn't trying to sound rude, Librorum. :wink:

Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:12 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 219 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next