Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 One theory about their conjugal visits 
Royalty
Royalty

Post One theory about their conjugal visits
I have heard of one theory floating around that the reason the marriage was not consummated for so long was because Louis was a little...large, if you know what I mean, and this combined with MA's "narrowness of the passage" in her youth made it painful for the both of them to do the deed, so to speak. I'm not sure if I believe this theory, although it is rather funny! :D

Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:03 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: One theory about their conjugal visits
Indeed, this theory is mentioned by modern historians, and quite convincing, in my opinion. See Simone Bertiere about it.

Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:20 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I do not believe in this story. If one have had "sex education" - or whatever you call it - then one must know that this would not likely be a problem - for anyone - unless one is unnaturally huge, and if Louis was that then he and Antoinette would never have consummated their marriage. I have much more faith in the theory about phimosis.

Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:01 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I don't believe in the phimosis theory because there is no record of him ever having surgery, which he had to have had in order to properly consummate the marriage. I believe it was entirely psychological.

Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:29 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The problem with the phimosis story is that no operation record was found. On the contrary, Louis' hunting diary shows no interruption. That means, in my opinion, that there was no operation. So, was this phimosis cured "naturally" ?

Let's add that no doctor acually reports about this phimosis. They all confirm that the young man is perfectly healthy and ready for work !

So... what ?

When Marie Antoinette arrived at Versaille, she was but a girl, she looked 12 and had not her periods yet. No, her monthly cycle was not fixed yet. This could indeed explain a "narrowness of passage".

If her husband was extremely developped sexually, these physical disproportions could cause great pains to both partners. That is Bertiere's developpment, and she adds that, being repeated often and often, this difficult experience soon became a terrible moment for each of them.

This could also explain why the consummation took so long. This experience having grown more and more terrible each day, both Louis and Antoinette tried to avoid the alcove the most they could. Untill Joseph came and talked to her sister, reminding her of her duties.

Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:46 am
Royalty
Royalty

Well in light of what you said Pim I think it must have been both physical and psychological, and that by the time Joseph came along they both pretty much given up, but MA didn't realize that she was now a fully grown woman and able to "take" her husband.

Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:39 pm
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

I actually did hear/read about the theory of Marie Antoinette's "passage" being too narrow. I believe Marie Antoinette needed time to physically mature in order to consummate the marriage. It may have not been a question whether or not Louis XVI was physically mature, however a question of Marie Antoinette maturing physically. Let's face it you need a male and a female that are sexually mature to have a child. I remember reading in "The Primal Teen". Hey I wanted to learn about how teens work so I could understand myself more. An average girls pelvis is unable to have a safe pregnancy/childbrith to carry the child until she is seventeen years old. A girl is also not fertile until 80% of her menstrual cycles include ovulation. Typically it take two to three years after menarche for a girl to have a regular cycle.

Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:38 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I think I can actually imagine a scenario in which the young couple did try to consummate their marriage but Louis may have been afraid that he was hurting his wife, which may have scared him away from trying for so many years.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:16 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Monsieur Andre wrote:
I think I can actually imagine a scenario in which the young couple did try to consummate their marriage but Louis may have been afraid that he was hurting his wife, which may have scared him away from trying for so many years.

I agree.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:02 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Then again sex is certainly delicate. In order to have sex and not have a traumatizing experience its really a matter of two people being mature enough, physically, or mentally, both partners have to be or at least should be neutral and ready to engage in sexual relationships.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:23 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

well the Phimosis theory also says nothing on these days, but so does it say "nothing" on the day of the storming of the bastille.
What is the condition called when a woman or young woman has a narrowness of passage, and how is it possible?

Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:08 pm
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

The closest medical term that I can think of is the term is vaginismus which is a painful contraction from what I have read. Sorry, I can't help. :?

Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:52 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

ill look it up. ;]

Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:53 am
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

I've tried to look that buggering term up.

Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:12 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I’ve heard that Joseph had talked to Louis XVI who told him everything about his sexual problem.
(This may be funny, person who don’t know English quite well discussing this topic.)
Apparently Louis XVI had told him how he had been having good erections and could get inside her but couldn’t ‘stay’ there and finish the work - or begin with it. Joseph wrote that in a letter to his brother while staying in their home. Joseph had advised him and whatever he had told him worked because their consummation afterwards was full; Joseph obviously had more experience in that field.
I know this from a documentary about Marie Antoinette in which historians debated this subject.

Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next