Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Dangerous Liaisons 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Re: Dangerous Liaisons
Has anyone noticed that Cruel Intentions with Sarah Michelle Gellar is a modern adaptation of Dangerous Liasons?

Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:35 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Unfortunately yes, I didn’t like it. I think that the book Dangerous Liaisons is very deep and the movie Dangerous Liaisons did show that deepness, even the story was slightly changed. I don’t like the modern adaptation, it is to shallow and just adjusted to be liked by teens.

Attachments:
les_liaisons_dangereuses_dangerous_liaisons_1988_reference2.jpg
les_liaisons_dangereuses_dangerous_liaisons_1988_reference2.jpg [ 27.37 KiB | Viewed 2049 times ]
Turvel 3.jpg
Turvel 3.jpg [ 10.6 KiB | Viewed 2049 times ]
Vikont de Valmont,Markiza de Mertej.jpg
Vikont de Valmont,Markiza de Mertej.jpg [ 50.98 KiB | Viewed 2051 times ]

Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:07 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

nice pix, you gotta love those costumes. they're exquisite

Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:07 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, every dress is a real work of art.
I like the dress on Uma Thurman bellow; it’s simple but very graceful. :)

Attachments:
dia-18.jpg
dia-18.jpg [ 31.8 KiB | Viewed 2034 times ]
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 61.26 KiB | Viewed 2034 times ]

Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:17 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

wow, yes, it's really beautiful! It will be one of the next films I'll see

Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:22 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Even though I haven't seen the movie nor read the book was able to appreciate this spoof of it. I was definatly able to appreciate it. I found it to be hilarious! Please enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4vnf6Wh ... nt:9959922%2

Sun May 04, 2008 2:57 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Enjoy the real deal-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbB2oBlP2uI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c855cbp ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjkB-o4b ... re=related

The best scene 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GBhKrwd ... re=related

The best scene 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz21Cg7D ... re=related

For people who had read the book and watched the movie – the movie had made madam Tourvel’s destiny little less tragic, I mean it was tragic but the book described her pain so moving, really heartbreaking. I was wondering is it possible for anyone to suffer like that. One more question – Laclo was a revolutionary but in his book he had showed many characters, aristocrats (Madam Tourvel, Madam Rosmond, Volange) as honest, good people – like he had hated corrupted society not noblemen as group. Do you know something more about his revolutionary acting, was he like Robespierre for example?

Sun May 04, 2008 12:56 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Thank you Marja Vera. I just thought fans of Dangerous Liaisons would enjoy the little spoof like I did. I was actually able to catch on to the jokes even though I'm not a fan- yet.

Sun May 04, 2008 4:08 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Madame Rose Bertin wrote:
Has anyone noticed that Cruel Intentions with Sarah Michelle Gellar is a modern adaptation of Dangerous Liasons?

Yes I did notice something , because it did seem like a modern adaptation of Dangerous Liaisons. Considering the fact it also had wealthier people as the main characters, or pusedo aristocrats.

Actually I believe it is. However it's from Wikipedia so I'm not quite sure how accurate it is. Here it is anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruel_Intentions

Sun May 04, 2008 4:13 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hellou_Librorum wrote:
Thank you Marja Vera. I just thought fans of Dangerous Liaisons would enjoy the little spoof like I did. I was actually able to catch on to the jokes even though I'm not a fan- yet.

I did enjoy, it was very interesting to see! Funny gossiping… :lol:
I thought, since you didn’t watch the movie, you will also enjoy to se what’s movie is really about.

Sun May 04, 2008 7:26 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

One addition, when the book Dangerous Liaisons was published (1780 or 1782, I can’t remember in 3 am) it was considered very shameful. Some people had claimed that all characters were inspired by the real people; one man said that he had known one person same as Valmont and so on. Book Dangerous Liaisons was found into Marie Antoinette’s personal belongings but the book was enwrapped in leather. I heard two versions –
First is that Marie A. done that because the book was considered shameful and she didn’t want anyone to recognize the cover (many aristocrats enjoyed in it secretly). Second version is that Marie A. was so fond of this book that she gave it to change its cover, wrap it in the leather so it can prevent further damages.

Mon May 05, 2008 1:27 am
Royalty
Royalty

I also wonder if as la reine she had her own special book binding; her copy of Manon Lescaut is covered in speckled calf skin.

Mon May 05, 2008 4:03 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Mr de Laclos was of recent noble family stock ("petite noblesse") and a writer and soldier. He rallied the Orléanist cause and then the Revolution. Apart from the "Dangerous Liaisons" his life was quite orthodox, in as far as he married late in life and became a faithful husband and father, nothing like his principal character Valmont. He was also nothing like Robespierre. I would say that he was an acute but discreet observer of society. I had heard too that Marie Antoinette had read or possessed this book, but I can't remember where I read that.

Mon May 05, 2008 1:26 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I know that for sure.
As I know Laclo had written only this one book in his life and it's true master-piece, how could such a, as you said, orthodox man done something so complex, write something so good, portrait his characters to the point of perfection. The letters are containing very deep and smart thoughts, you can make thousands quotes. Yes, I really worship this book. I’ve heard that its said to be the second best novel in the French literature, is it true?

Mon May 05, 2008 5:24 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I suppose it is based on opinion? :/

Mon May 05, 2008 6:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next